Adding electrics to new kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, hoping some knowledgeable spark can advise me here...

I'm having a bit of a refit in the kitchen, replacing some base units, adding new wall units, new built in oven / hob and extractor fan. Would also like to add some under cabinet lighting.

Can someone tell me:

- will the extractor fan / hood wire straight into the mains or have a normal plug socket above the wall units to plug into?

- ditto for the lights will they wire into the mains or be best plugged into a normal socket? (obviously will depend on type of lights but not sure what sort yet)

- Oven and hob will be gas but I assume they will still need electrical supply for spark ignition / oven clock? My current free standing cooker simply plugs into a socket but would prefer this wired straight to the mains on its own switch, is this possible?

- Now the "how long is a piece of string" question.... to do all of the above and convert some single plug sockets into doubles, any idea how much would I be looking at to do all that?

(if it makes a difference there is currently a supply for the current plug for the cooker and a switch for the extractor near to where the new oven / extractor will go)...

If you need more info (i'm sure you will) then please let me know or I may even be able to post a pic if that would help.

Thanks

M

Sponsored Links
Your fan and extractor can either be hardwired(direct to mains installation) or plug-ins.
Fan and Lights;
The circuits being used would really depend on the fuse rating of the circuit and the output of the equipment. But likely to get away using lighting circuit if rated below 6amps.
If plug-ins, the fuse in the plug be should correctly rated.

Oven/Hob
The electrics on Gas ovens/Hobs run on a low amp rating so it's likely that it will come with a plug fitted removing this plug if moulded can effect the warranty on the appliance, so beware.
But they can be hardwired and have a switch/isolator installed you could even have the plug socket in-line with an Isolator.

Cost would vary from region to region, so give a few (at least 3) electrical installers a call and that will give you a good guide.
Don't forget that work in Kitchens needs to comply to part p and be notified to building controls. (either by you or the electrician)
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back