adding ensuite, need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am adding an ensuite to the top floor of my house which is currently occupied by tow large bedrooms. I have a combi boiler which is on the ground floor next to the downstairs bedroom. My water pressure s not great at the moment. what is the best way to get a good shower presure upstairs in the planned ensuite?
(there is an empted loft space above the proposed ensuite area)

add a tank?

electric shower? how good are they? noisy?

thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
You could try opening your stop tap more, or slightly increasing your boiler pressure.
Better still deal with your supply problem and maybe upgrade your water mains. :D

Electric showers aren't noisy at all but if the mains pressure is poor it may not be enough to feed the electric shower.

If you're spending all that money putting in an ensuite you may as well spend a bit more and do as Bahco says, investigate the problem with your water supply. Do it right first time ;)

how do i go about investigating the water presure with my supplier? will giving them a ring and asking them to come out and try to address it be the right way?

Sponsored Links
If you have poor cold water mains pressure or flow, an electric shower off the mains will solve nothing. Get the mains sorted. Sometimes just replacing the maintap can solve matters. Another is having a 22mm pipe direct from the maintap to the combi, which I would recommend as you having an en-suite fitted.

Will you end up having a bathroom and one en-suite? How many showers? How many baths? The combi may not be big enough. What size is the combi? What make and model?

f.a.o big burner

I have a vaillant 110 combi boiler..

It is not that i CURRENTLY have really poor water presure. i would describe it as average. I am just fearing that once i add an ensuite with a shower, basin and wc upstairs to add to the current bathroom which has one bath and one shower in that the presure in the upstairs ensuite will be very poor

one quick question...if i am only using either the ensuite shower or main shower. And NOT at the same time, will my water presure stay as it is now?

f.a.o big burner

I have a vaillant 110 combi boiler..

It is not that i CURRENTLY have really poor water presure. i would describe it as average. I am just fearing that once i add an ensuite with a shower, basin and wc upstairs to add to the current bathroom which has one bath and one shower in that the presure in the upstairs ensuite will be very poor

Your flow and pressure with the en-suite will be the same as for the current bathroom. To supply both at the same time you will have top check your cold water mains. Replace the stoptap to a larger size is usually a good start. Have a 22mm pipe from the stoptap, even if the mains pipe is 15mm, supplying only the combi.

The combi is not man enough to supply the two at once. You may want to invest in a higher flow rate combi. Worcester Bosch do a 40kw model, Glow Worm a 38 kw. There are stored water combis that give excellent flow rates. Glow Worm make one. W-B make a floor mounted HighFlow 440.

Or fit another combi. Have this new condensing combi do the downstairs Ch and the bathroom or the en-suite. The old combi do the the upstairs. This may be a more cost effective way to get the water system cope.

Or fit another combi. Have this new condensing combi do the downstairs Ch and the bathroom or the en-suite. The old combi do the the upstairs. This may be a more cost effective way to get the water system cope.

The 2 combi ploy, as last endorsed by Doctor Drivel/Water Systems.

The 2 combi ploy, as last endorsed by Doctor Drivel/Water Systems.

I have done that lots of times. It is quite common when a house is extended. Either spend £1500 for a high flow combi or £600-700 for a smaller combi to supplement the existing. I don't rip people off and go the cost effective route to get what they need.

Would you slap in a cylinder and tank and two power shower pumps?

I have done that lots of times. It is quite common when a house is extended. Either spend £1500 for a high flow combi or £600-700 for a smaller combi to supplement the existing. I don't rip people off and go the cost effective route to get what they need.

That's what DD/WS would say.

He sounds a clever man. :)

You might well think so. Many on this and other forums consider him a complete to**er but that shouldn't bother you should it?

You might well think so. Many on this and other forums consider him a complete to**er but that shouldn't bother you should it?

Doing searches this DD comes up and he clearly knows his stuff. The interesting threads always have him in the driving seat. What I have read in searches he is no tosser at all. He is the sort you should value as people like him add value to the forum. You never know what he thinks of you. :)

I haven't come across WS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back