adding extra outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a outside light thats i put up on the back off the house that operates from a switched fuse spur in the kitchen, now i want an extra one on the side of the house, whats easiest way? i was going to have another cable coming out the light going to the next but its too tight to get both cables in, so maybe a 3 way junction box???

Sponsored Links
thanks whats the ip stand for for future reference? also ive used 1.5 and 2.5 twin and earth clipped to the outside which know isnt right, i want to change it all so its right would i be able to use 3 core pvc flex clipped to wall.. using 2.5 from socket to fuse spur and 1.0mm from fuse spur to box and then to each light??

Sponsored Links
i have a outside light thats i put up on the back off the house that operates from a switched fuse spur in the kitchen, now i want an extra one on the side of the house, whats easiest way?
The cheapest way, if you don't want to break the law, is to use a registered electrician....

Do you not have access to a socket upstairs/close to where you want to site the new outside light you can add a FCU too for a lighting feed or possibly access to the lighting circuit from the loft. If you use the existing feed it is absolutely notifiable. if you use another feed its quite possibly not(unless you took it off the bathroom ceiling rose). Personally i would run the light from the upstairs lights put a switch drop in then go straight through the wall as close to where the light is being fixed as possible.

Use a double pole switch if running from the light circuit, then what ever happens to the exterior lamp ( damp, damage etc ) you can easily isolate it fully and protect your lighting circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back