Adding limescale reducer/filter to boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
I'm having cloudy hot water at the taps and was told a limescale reducer would help a lot. I also understand that it prolongs boiler life by reducing scale build up.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My question is does the person who installs the filter need to be Gas Safe registered?
doe any work on the boiler that doesn't include the gas systems need a gas safe worker?

thanks, regards
Hass

Sponsored Links
Check out a company called Ecoflow plc - they do very powerful permanent magnets designed to strap onto the cold inlet pipe just below the boiler with no cutting into the pipes, they take 2 mins to fit and work very effectively plus they are guaranteed for life. I've seen loads of good results with these.
I am assuming you have a combination boiler? If not then you wouldn't fit it to the boiler, you'd fit several of them to the system, mainly on the H&C tanks.

If you have a combi, cloudy hot water is usually caused by tiny air bubbles, not lime.

If you fill a glass, and it clears, starting at the bottom, it is air bubbles (which rise)

If it clears starting at the top, it is particles (which sink)

If it stays cloudy after two minutes, call your water supplier and ask to have it analysed.

No filter will help with the air bubbles

BTW magnetic water conditioners don't actually work (except in the same way that a copper bangle cures arthritis, or a clove of garlic wards off vampires). To remove lime you need a water Softener which is quite different.

Sponsored Links
The only thing magnetic scale reducers do it change the chemical balance of the lime (+ ions to - ions or vice versa i think). This stops it buildin up in pipework but doesnt remove it.

hello all,
thanks for the replies. If only everything in life was black and white with one way to resolve issues. life wood be good lol

It is a combi boiler (Worcester 28i Junior).

anyway, John D, wanted to ask, cold water has air bubbles which dissipate in less than 6 seconds which is fine.
With hot water, I tested it 3 times and got pretty similar results.
- air bubbles similar to the cold water test dissipate very quickly.
- once gone, it definitely appears to be 'particles' albeit very tiny particles floating/swirling around in the water for about 45 seconds. They seem to get smaller (<0.1mm by eye) but appear to rise to the surface.

It looks like particles but behaves like air bubbles.

I suppose I can't test as I recently changed the kitchen tap and this one makes the water 'bubble' more as it comes out with more 'force'.

I presume air bubbles are nothing to worry about.
What options do I have if it is particles or lime etc?
can I add an inhibitor of some sort? I'm having a radiator changed soon so the system will be drained. I understand the HW is seperate to the CH water.

If it's just the water quality coming in (from the cold mains?) can I add a filter or something to the incoming line? will this help with water for everything?

What can you make of this?
I've noticed that you have a lot of posts and have seen your responses in a lot of forums. Can I ask what your profession is?

thanks, regards
Hass

Sounds like air bubbles from your description. If you have concerns you can always ask the water supplier to test it

If it's lime particles, you may find they leave a whitish residue at the bottom of the glass.

I think you have two sorts of bubbles from your hot tap:
- Aeration from the forceful tap swirler
- Dissolved air from the water coming out when it comes out of the pressurised pipes and into the open air (same as when you open a bottle of fizzy drink)

Only way I know to fix lime is to buy a Water Softener which will cost you some hundreds of pounds (however if you are in a hard-water area, look in your kettle and see if it is encrusted with scale. A softener will stop it, and will also make your towels, clothes, hair and skin softer and cleaner.

Here is a picture of my 5-year old kettle

View media item 4336

before I forget,

My question is does the person who installs the filter need to be Gas Safe registered?
doe any work on the boiler that doesn't include the gas systems need a gas safe worker?

Ps do you have any brand/models of water softener I can look at?
I take it you mean those built in filters like the Brita ones?

regards

before I forget,

No, you don't need a gassafe plumber for the filter.
As for work on the boiler - if this involves taking the front of the boiler off, or working on the gas or flue, the (s)he must be registered. There may be exceptions (such as an electrician wiring up stats/timers etc) - if in doubt ask on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back