New boiler - non condensing or condensing with filter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post so greetings to all.

I've just bought a 2bed flat and in need of a new boiler as previous owner removed/took the boiler hence no boiler right now.

So far I've had four quotes (one from British Gas and three other local companies). Flat is located in south east London. Also please note that waste pipe is copper and I've been advised that I shouldn't install a condensing boiler by British Gas and one local plumber.

British Gas quoted me £2,800 for a non-condensing worcester junior boiler. The knowledgeable local plumber quoted me £1,700 for a condensing worcester junior boiler (fitted with filter to remove all condensate acid). The guy claims that this will be fine. He also said that he won't be able to get a non-condensing boiler therefore this is the best solution.

The other two local plumbers quoted me £1,700 and £1,900 and for a condensing vaillant ecotec plus 824. Both would fit magnaclean filter with boiler.

1st question, is the quote from British Gas too high? If so how can I persuade them to lower it?

2nd question, is there such a filter that can remove/reduce the acid produced by a condensing boiler as claimed by the knowledgeable local plumber? Or is he just referring to magnaclean also?

3rd question, should I forget about the other two local plumbers because they didn't identify or failed to mention that only non condensing boiler can be installed? Or is magnaclean filter supposed to neutralise the acid thereby making it safe for a condensing boiler usage?

Please note that all quotes are to supply and install boiler and includes VAT. Installation includes system flush and wireless thermostat. All quotes are from Corgi registered plumbers. I found the local plumbers on vaillant's website.

Thanks for your input. ;)

Sponsored Links
Forget BG as they are so expensive!

Get the sensible guy or anyone else who quotes a lower price.

If you really have copper drains then you should neutralise the condensate. Thats easy enough and the unit is less than £50 but it does need topping up each year. No problem.

Tony

When it is said 'needs topping up' IT REALLY NEEDS TOPPING UP' else the condensate will eat a hole in the pipe.

Ok thanks for the reply guys.

I take it you both mean magnaclean filter then? Or is there another filter for this job?

Sponsored Links
no not a magnaclean forget that, its nothing to do with condense water.
Its a condensafe you need and looks like only one person has given you some reasonable advice and a sensible quote so how about give him the job?

The condensing boiler exceptions regulations will have to be followed.

There must be alternative ways of disposing of the condensate. For example, connection into the stack pipe, using a condensate pump if necessary or a soakaway (only if it's a ground floor flat).

It sopunds as if D. Hailsham has not read about the device which is required!

Even though its mentioned above!

But then why should he as he does not actually get involved in fitting boilers?

Tony

The Atmos range of Condensing boilers discharges the condensate by spraying it out via the flue with the products of Combustion, this could be a solution to your problem!! ;)

The Atmos range of Condensing boilers discharges the condensate by spraying it out via the flue with the products of Combustion, this could be a solution to your problem!! ;)
I wouldn't recommend it, they are notorious for failing spray unit.

It sounds as if D. Hailsham has not read about the device which is required!
Yes, I did read about the device, but I also read BGs "solution", which was to install a non-condensing boiler.

I was just pointing out that the Non-condensing Boiler Criteria would have to be met, i.e. you would need over 1000 points. Copper waste pipes, on their own, do not earn any points. It's only if you need a soakaway or a condensate pump and then you only get 100 points.

In this case he needs nothing apart from the neutralising device.

Nothing very clever but it seems many of his installers are not aware of it.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back