adding new ceiling lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace one ceiling light with two lights fed from the same junction box both operating from the existing light switch (so they both come on at the same time)

I can replicate the wiring for one of the lights but for the other is it ok simply to add it to the junction box with the live and neutral coming from the same connections as the first light.

Also the new cable to the lights from the junction box includes an earth but the light fitting doesn't (old fitting connected by earthed flex). Can I simple put the spare earth into a separate block at the light?

Thought this was OK but after reading some of the posts here I'm now unsure. Thought it better to check.

hope this is enough to go on

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a junction box or do you mean a loop in loop out ceiling rose?

If you look in the diynot wiki (up near the top of the page) go electrics, lighting there's a pile of lighting wiring diagrams. Have a look there and post back if you have anymore doubts.

The earth should be taken to the ceiling rose of fittings terminals so that should the light fitting require an earth (things like chandeliers made of metal will need an earth) in the future it is there and ready for use,

Thanks for the direction. I've found what I needed. V. prompt reply, good job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back