New Light Fitting with different connections for ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

first time here so apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I have had a look at FAQS and other topics but can't find one exactly the same as my 'problem'. Also apologies for any terminolgy I get wrong.

I have bought a new light fitting that has five bulbs on it. It has a set of live and neutrals from each bulb and an earth that needs connecting.

Supplied with the light was a plastic junction box with one slot that the earth is connected to and separtate plastic junction box with 3 slots. Am I right in assuming I join all five lives together and all five neutrals together to make 'one' of each and put each group into a slot on the 3 slot junction box (leaving one free).

That is my first question and the second is how to connect this to the existing wiring in the ceiling.

From the ceiling are two grey cables. One has Earth, Neutral and Live and one has 2 Lives and and Earth. How do I connect these to the connections from the new light fitting. I think the Earth is straightforward and there is only one Neutral so I assume that is straightforward but I will have one live coming from the fitting but 3 lives in the ceiling. Which live from the ceiling connects to the live from the new light and what do I do with the spare two lives ? Can I put them in the spare slot and in junction box that came with the new light ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FH

Sponsored Links
Frank Haskins said:
Supplied with the light was a plastic junction box with one slot that the earth is connected to and separtate plastic junction box with 3 slots. Am I right in assuming I join all five lives together and all five neutrals together to make 'one' of each and put each group into a slot on the 3 slot junction box (leaving one free).
Sounds about right!

That is my first question and the second is how to connect this to the existing wiring in the ceiling.

From the ceiling are two grey cables. One has Earth, Neutral and Live and one has 2 Lives and and Earth. How do I connect these to the connections from the new light fitting. I think the Earth is straightforward and there is only one Neutral so I assume that is straightforward but I will have one live coming from the fitting but 3 lives in the ceiling. Which live from the ceiling connects to the live from the new light and what do I do with the spare two lives ? Can I put them in the spare slot and in junction box that came with the new light ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FH
You'll probably find the twin red cable is a switch cable. The red from the red/bk twin and earth connects to one red from the switch cable and to nothing else, the other red from the switch cable connects to lives for all the lights.

Thanks for the quick reply and for the information.

Just to doublecheck then are saying that the red from the red/black cable should be connected to a red from the twin red cable and the other red from the twin red cable connects to the light fitting live.

If I put the red from the red/black cable in the spare slot with the other red from the twin red cable will that be OK ?

Do I need to wrap these junction boxes in insulation tape when this is all done ?

Cheers.

FH

Frank Haskins said:
Thanks for the quick reply and for the information.

Just to doublecheck then are saying that the red from the red/black cable should be connected to a red from the twin red cable and the other red from the twin red cable connects to the light fitting live.

If I put the red from the red/black cable in the spare slot with the other red from the twin red cable will that be OK ?
Yes this is fine
Do I need to wrap these junction boxes in insulation tape when this is all done ?
No, don't wrap it in insulation tape as it will end up as a horrible mess for anyone attempting to work on it in the future! As long as they are enclosed in the light fitting they are fine.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the help. Your time is very much appreciated and lights working fine.

Cheers

FH

Spark123 said:
No, don't wrap it in insulation tape as it will end up as a horrible mess for anyone attempting to work on it in the future! As long as they are enclosed in the light fitting they are fine.

But make sure you don't have any naked conductors (think Simon Rattle with no clothes on - Woohoo!) sticking out of the blocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back