Fitting on new lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I was trying to fit on a new light fixing last night and took the old one off only to find 9 wires: 3 brown(live) 3 blue(neutral) and 3 earths,
but I only require 3! So i figured out that this is in a loop or rose circuit.

I think I might be on the right track on what to do but need advise:

1. Find the switch Live using a multimeter: try each live and nutral, then turn lights on.....
I assume that I aslo need to turn the mains on?

2. Connect all the 3 earth wires together and then feed it into the earth slot on the new light

3. connect all 3 live (brown) wires together.... What do I need to connect these

4. Use the switch Live (Blue wire) and slot into the Live slot on the new light

5. Connect the remaining 2 neutral wires together and slot into the nutral slot on the new light: what do i need to do this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
OK First thing.

You did note down which wire was the switched live before you took the old light off, didn't you? :rolleyes:

If not you have a lot of work to do.

At the top of this forum there is a lot of info on how to work this out.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582&start=0&highlight=

You'll need to read it
and you'll need to have a multimeter.

PS. You might want to change your forum name. It doesn't suit you.

;)

Thank you for your input.

Please do not redirect me to other forums, pages or diagrams. I assure you that I have gone through tons of diagrams and explanations.

What you have stated in your OP is correct.

If I understand it, your only question is
5. Connect the remaining 2 neutral wires together and slot into the nutral slot on the new light: what do i need to do this?

If so, connect both to the neutral terminal of the light. If you cannot, for some reason, then use a piece of terminal choc block to join them together and use a short piece of blue wire to connect to the light.

Or is there more that you need to know?

Sponsored Links
1. Find the switch Live using a multimeter: try each live and nutral, then turn lights on.....
I assume that I aslo need to turn the mains on?

No.

With the mains OFF, and the light switch for that light ON, test each live and neutral with your multimeter until you find the closed circuit. Mark it as switched live by putting brown tape on the neutral and proceed as per the rest of your post.

and the light switch for that light ON, test each live and neutral with your multimeter until you find the closed circuit.
Then turn the switch Off and checke the live and "neutral" ( which is switched live ) are open circuit.

Mark it as switched live by putting brown tape on the neutral and proceed as per the rest of your post.

Trusting to just a closed ciruit with the switch on might give confusing results if the loop in or loop out cables have a lamp across them in another room.

and the light switch for that light ON, test each live and neutral with your multimeter until you find the closed circuit.
Then turn the switch Off and checke the live and "neutral" ( which is switched live ) are open circuit.

I dont understand, once I have identified the wires from the switch, I am assuming that the brown one is Live... the blue one is neutral (switch live).

It is just a double check that the pair really are the pair to the switch and you are not looking at a pair going to the next room where the lamp switch is on. This will give a low resistance reading which, on a low cost and maybe difficult to read multi-meter, might be mis-read as a closed circuit.

the blue one is neutral (switch live).

You've correctly called it switched live and it needs a brown marker to show that is what it is.
It is not, or ever will be, neutral.
Please stop thinking that wires are anything just because of their colour.

As far as I know, 1 set of wires are coming from the switch, one from the main supply and one connected to the bathroom, thats becuase only my room and the bathroom lights are not working when I turn the mains on.

Is it ok to just turn the switch on and off which will create a different reading on the multimeter, then I can be assured that that set of wires are coming from the switch?

I also want to know what those small blocks are called where you can clip 2 or 3 wires at one end and attach one wire at the other end? The new light fixings come with a small white block, but it will be very difficult to insert more than one wire into the hole.

Thanks

Is it ok to just turn the switch on and off which will create a different reading on the multimeter, then I can be assured that that set of wires are coming from the switch?
Yes That is the best way to be certain it is the cable to the switch.

Cheers mate. I think what im looking for is called wago connectors. Anyone know where to get this from.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back