Adding new radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine is extending his house. He currently has a central heating system powered by a Stanley, oil-fired range which provides heating and hot water to the house. It currently runs 4 radiators and a towel rail in the bathroom and Stanley say the range will easily run up to 12 medium sized radiators so should be fine to run the 5 additional radiators they are adding in the extension. Their central heating tank is currently in the first floor bathroom and they've been told that they may need to move the tank into the loft space in order for it to power the new radiators? Is this correct?

The new radiators will be split between the ground and first floors in the extension but none are any higher than the existing radiators on the first floor?

I fully admit i know very little about central heating systems so if the above is impossible to answer with the information provide then i do apologise - please let me know what other information you need!

Sponsored Links
Update, spoke to him last night and just to provide a bit more info-there are actually currently 5no radiators on the system (4 of which are 700mm wide by 900mm high double panel radiators - the 5th being a larger radiator). The existing cylinder sits on the bathroom floor in a cupboard so is at a similar level to the 3 first floor radiators and the 2 proposed new first floor radiators. Above the cyclinder is a cold water header tank.

If the existing radiators work OK does this mean the tank will not need raising to accommodate the new radiators - or does the additonal lengths of pipe run mean the cylinder needs to be higher?

whats your problem puller don't know how to quote on a proper forum

won't be a problem once the mod gets his / her finger out

and FYI

you have been watched since you re registered

Sponsored Links
Andrew, of course you can convert the Stanley cooker to a 'sealed system'. I would check the heat-loss of the extension & double check the output of the Stanley. Also can you confirm if the appliance is a twin burner; one for the cooker & one for the HW/CH??

The Stanley is a good wee appliance, but it should be serviced by someone that knows what they're doing.

Sorry if I can't help you further if you reply, as I think I may be banned from here???!!!!

Sorry but i don't understand what you're saying? Are you saying that he SHOULD convert it to a sealed system? He certainly doesn't want to. He knows the output of the Stanley has the capacity to heat the new radiators, and in an ideal world he'd just add the new rads to the existing system and leave everything else as is. Just needs to know if the cylinder and the F&E tank are high enough or if they need to be raised higher in order for the central heating system to function with the additional radiators added?

if you can get the header tank 1m above the highest rad you should be ok

higher won't hurt ;)

combined feed and vent is a thought on a low head system as well :idea:

Cheers Kev, i'm pretty sure that the header tank will be at least 1m above the radiators - will check that out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back