Adding new socket

owe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just got a bit of a question

I need a new socket in my dining room, however the floorboards are overlaid with laminate and I dont really want to rip them up.

The place where I would like the new socket backs onto the living room and a socket on the ring main.

my question is, would I be able to drill through the wall (about 8ins thick) and wire a spur from the socket in the living room (there are 2 cables going in so I assume its part of the ring main) to a single socket in the dining room. Then plug a surge protected 6 way into the single socket to power a small tv, stereo and lamp?

also can I do this because of Part P. Its been several years since I did any wiring and dont know if this allowed under Part P?

cheers
Rob

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, it is an addition to a ring final circuit and a MWC should be completed.

You could fit a double or triple socket if you wanted. This is quite an easy job, but you must prove that you have a ring: two cables going into a socket could just as easily be a radial circuit or spur. So put a meter across the ends of the 'ring' to check for continuity.

you can fit a FUSED triple, not an unfused one..

It also make no difference if it's a radial or a ring, you can spur off both..
if it's an existing spur then you can't spur off it further unless it's a fused spur

Sponsored Links
you can fit a FUSED triple, not an unfused one..

It also make no difference if it's a radial or a ring, you can spur off both..
if it's an existing spur then you can't spur off it further unless it's a fused spur

I didnt realise that you could spur off a spur as long as it was a fused one!

what about if I ran 2.5 twin and earth cable from the existing socket to this and then run to this. Then plug my 6 way into it.
Or is this overkill or dangerous??

Cheers
Rob

It is overkill but it's not dangerous. It is completely unnecessary though!

If the socket on the other side of the wall is definitely on the ring, then you can spur straight off it with a double socket.

Your 6 way plugboard will already be fused.

I didnt realise that you could spur off a spur as long as it was a fused one!

absolutely, it's all about protecting the cables...

2.5 T+E cable has a limit of between 13.5 and 27A depending on the installation method.. ( but not counting correction factors )

so if it's a fused spur, then the load is limited ot 13A....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back