Adding pendant lights to a ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a single ceiling rose in my dining room but would like to add 2 more so I have 3 pendant lights hanging down over a dining room table.

Can this be done?

At present I have;
1 cable = 3 core T&E. ( RED/BLUE/YELLOW/EARTH )
1 cable = 2 core T&E ( RED/BLACK/EARTH )

The blue from the 3 core and the black from the 2 core are in same terminal.
The yellow from 3 core and red from 2 core are in same terminal.
The red from the 3 core is in a terminal on its own
The earth's from both are in a terminal.

If this makes sense could you advise on what cable i'd need and to which terminal the new cable would need to be joined to.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Electrically, yes. Ceiling joists may make it physically awkward.

It doesn't really.

To which terminals is the pendant connected?

Thank you for the reply..

The joists are not an issue as I can run cables along side of them..

As for the cables at present - these are what I have without any pendant, as in this is what’s coming out the ceiling without any light attached.

Thank you.

Ok. You only have to run a cable from this rose to the new two.

The wiring is unusual and strange, so first -
could we have a description or picture of the connections at the switch?

Sponsored Links
As for the cables at present - these are what I have without any pendant, as in this is what’s coming out the ceiling without any light attached.
So you've got no ceiling lights in the room?

Has it always been that way?

Hi,

I have a single ceiling rose in my dining room but would like to add 2 more so I have 3 pendant lights hanging down over a dining room table.

Can this be done?

At present I have;
1 cable = 3 core T&E. ( RED/BLUE/YELLOW/EARTH )
1 cable = 2 core T&E ( RED/BLACK/EARTH )

The blue from the 3 core and the black from the 2 core are in same terminal.
The yellow from 3 core and red from 2 core are in same terminal.
The red from the 3 core is in a terminal on its own
The earth's from both are in a terminal.

If this makes sense could you advise on what cable i'd need and to which terminal the new cable would need to be joined to.

Thanks in advance.
I'll make the guess you have had wall lights added at some stage, what is the wiring in the switch?

I'll make the guess you have had wall lights added at some stage, what is the wiring in the switch?

Ah yes, you are correct. Apologies I didn’t make myself very clear.

There is a 3plate switch, 1for the light I want to add to, 1 for a light the other end of the dining room and 1 that operates 2wall lights.

I tried to send picture last night but will have another go later.

Hope this is makes it clearer?

AE64F724-01BB-4B38-AE6E-56091572A35A.jpeg
AE64F724-01BB-4B38-AE6E-56091572A35A.jpeg DCCB0325-1B34-4FAD-950C-7D0AEA79FB48.jpeg F3DF5014-4646-4849-99DD-667038AA58F5.jpeg

This is about as much of a picture I can get if that helps.. sorry I can’t be more precise but as you can tell electrics are not my strongest subject.

74F10C39-CE4B-4789-83E0-CD515390DF04.jpeg 74F10C39-CE4B-4789-83E0-CD515390DF04.jpeg DC4BCF9A-C0AE-49B6-921E-42764894F413.jpeg 26CB495D-B7DB-4069-8D08-2ACD80DA739C.jpeg A74941C2-3DB1-40B8-A642-A7C33138CCC4.jpeg A6240E5B-37F9-45D7-92E1-B36AE28225FB.jpeg EF3A3164-79C2-4507-AF61-A9A6C062CAC3.jpeg
I can't see the switch wiring clearly enough.
does the yellow wire go to more than one switch?
Does the red of the 3c&e go to an unused switch?
Does the blue wire go to another black at the switch?

So the 3c&e doesn't go to the switch?
I see another dark wire in the back? where does that go?
Is one of these switches currently unused? Which one?

Once again, thank you for trying to help..

It would appear that the 3c &e doesn't go to the switch as your rightly pointed out. There is no blue or yellow in the switch so not sure why that is?
Also - you are right, there is another black cable in the switch box and it's connected to nothing which is a tad concerning? it's a black wire with copper end exposed?

Thank you.

No this isn’t the case.. it’s like that at present as I am decorating so the old light was removed.
Then all you need to do is to connect the new lights to the same terminals that the old one was connected to, and all will be well (assuming it was all well before).

Keep the existing connections as they were, on the grounds that it's a bit daft to take wiring which worked OK, make changes to it, and expect it to still work OK.

Then all you need to do is to connect the new lights to the same terminals that the old one was connected to, and all will be well (assuming it was all well before).

Keep the existing connections as they were, on the grounds that it's a bit daft to take wiring which worked OK, make changes to it, and expect it to still work OK.

Thank you.

I will need to run two new cables for the other two pendants I want to add as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back