Lighting Circuit

There is something odd here, and without knowing what goes to what at the switches, we can't sort it out

A possible explation is a T&E switch drop replaced with 3C+E either because of lack of appropiate cable, or someone wanting a neutral at the switch

Sponsored Links
My thinking as well. But as you say, without knowing what appears at each switch position..........

But if the 3 core were indeed a switch drop, then it's easy. 3C red connects to T&E red (live feed to common of one switch), yellow returns as switchwire to fitting, black from T&E is neutral to fitting and blue if indeed there is a neutral at switch position. Then from switch A position, there is a link to switch 2.

But I suspect it is a whole lot more complicated than that, probably involving jb's. Has this new-build got an NHBC cert, I wonder??

sorry for the delay - I was away for a few days. I really appreciate the comments but some are over my head.

I have investigated further and this light can actually be opertated from one of 5 switches!!

At the one switch I looked at, which is a 2 gang and operates another light, there are 3 pairs of 2 core wires coloured red and the other blue (with a red sleeve on it) and there is the yellow wire. There are also other wires that have been terminated.

I think I know where most wires in my pendant/ ceiling go - except for the yellow wire which I believe helps carry power to multiple switches but am not 100%.

Sponsored Links
Oh wow. Think you might do well to call in the professionals.

Other than that, it's getting rather difficult to picture. I think you need to check each and make a drawing.

I'm sure multi switch circuits must be in the sticky thread somewhere. You can compare with that. The basic 5 switch circuit ought to be no 'real' different that the usually described/drawn 3 switch one. You get your normal single pole 2 way one at each and and as many double pole double way (known as intermediates) in between as you like.

However whether that fits in with what you have, is another question. Need to check each leg to find out.

-----

3 pairs of 2 core - for the switch you are interested in only, or including the one it's ganged up with as well ?

I assume 2 core + earth. I'd have thought that someone had run out of 3+E and opted to use 2+E and a spare single yellow, but IIRC you said you had 3+E hanging from the light fitting. :)

Have you considered a rewire ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back