Adding Rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to add an extra rad to my system into an extension.

The best place to pick up the system is in the upstairs bedroom and drop it out through the wall and down.

The new rad is 400 x 2000mm high, my existing system has 8mm copper from the rads `T`ed into a 15mm run under the floor.

It has a feed and return system and a pressure unit in the airing cupboard, it is not a combi boiler.

If i join into the 15mm copper with plastic and drop it out through the wall down to ground level do i need to then reduce to 8mm before going into the rad to keep the system flow the same or will i need to stay at 15mm because of the rad size?

Sponsored Links
Thanks

my other worry is i cant see past the one rad in the bedroom so i don't know how many rads are already coming off the 15mm, and how is the best way to know if i have the balance right in the system without a thermostat ?

Sponsored Links
how is the best way to know if i have the balance right in the system without a thermostat ?

If you have no thermostat then it's a touchy-feely process. Tweak the lockshield on the new rad until you feel that the room is warm enough compared to the others in the house.

You can make it a whole bunch easier by fitting a TRV on the new rad. Even better would be to upgrade your controls to incorporate a room stat. And TRV's on all the rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back