Adding Room Thermostat

Im guessing with my particular boiler, I just connect the two terminals on the below diagram across terminals 1 and 3, cos the boiler doesn't require a compensating resistor?

That's correct. Wired as SD recommend suggests that the thermostat does not have 240v at the terminals used, possibly only 24V.

SD do recommend that you use an electronic thermostat as it is more accurate. The Honeywell DT200 would be suitable, costs £20-30 depending on supplier/ebay. They use AA batteries to power the display.

Which time control do you have on the central heating?

Sponsored Links
Im guessing with my particular boiler, I just connect the two terminals on the below diagram across terminals 1 and 3, cos the boiler doesn't require a compensating resistor?

That's correct. Wired as SD recommend suggests that the thermostat does not have 240v at the terminals used, possibly only 24V.

SD do recommend that you use an electronic thermostat as it is more accurate. The Honeywell DT200 would be suitable, costs £20-30 depending on supplier/ebay. They use AA batteries to power the display.

Which time control do you have on the central heating?
I just have the timer that's built into the boiler. Will generally be on during the day and off overnight.

Is that significant?

I just have the timer that's built into the boiler. Will generally be on during the day and off overnight.

Is that significant?

Not really, just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be better to replace an out of date mechanical time switch with a digital programmer. But, if you are happy with what you have, why change it?

However, I would still recommend a DT200 instead of the mechanical one as it will provide better control over the room temperature.

Earth wire should ONLY be used for earth. One can debate the necessity to use terminal two on the roomstat, most boilers will work fine just using 2 terminals. Two things are for sure; if the thermostat has metal parts like a baseplate, they should be earthed. If no need for earth, the earth wire should be safely terminated and not just be cut off or dangling inside.

Sponsored Links
Room stat should be a voltage free type and i'd go for the DT200 as already said.

Not really, just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be better to replace an out of date mechanical time switch with a digital programmer. But, if you are happy with what you have, why change it?

However, I would still recommend a DT200 instead of the mechanical one as it will provide better control over the room temperature.
I was contemplating buy a programmable thermostat longer term, but I'd need an expensive one as I work a 6 day shift pattern and ideally want one that can cater for that :D but I don't have much money at the moment so in the shorter term though I'll just stick with a standard thermostat

That sound sensible.

I picked up a brand new Honeywell CM927 Wireless stat on Ebay for under £45. It works like a dream. :D

That sound sensible.

I picked up a brand new Honeywell CM927 Wireless stat on Ebay for under £45. It works like a dream. :D
Don't suppose you fancy selling it for under £45? :D I saw that thermostat and wanted it! But decided it was a tad excessively priced :evil:

Don't suppose you fancy selling it for under £45? :D I saw that thermostat and wanted it! But decided it was a tad excessively priced :evil:

Some idiot punters on ebay were bidding for these way higher than you could buy them from an on-line store or the "Buy Now" price. I thought it was a bargain :D In any case do you know the RRP?

all except the bathroom radiator have thermostats.
Don't forget to take the one out fitted to the radiator in the room you are intending to fit the room stat and replace it with a std radiator valve. (or swap it with the one in the bathroom) otherwise your new stat won't work properly

Some idiot punters on ebay were bidding for these way higher than you could buy them from an on-line store or the "Buy Now" price. I thought it was a bargain :D In any case do you know the RRP?
It tends to retail around £90

Don't forget to take the one out fitted to the radiator in the room you are intending to fit the room stat and replace it with a std radiator valve. (or swap it with the one in the bathroom) otherwise your new stat won't work properly
Yeh already aware of that. At the moment just got the radiator thermostat up as high as it goes. Plan to swap it with the bathroom when I get round to it though. Probs not til next summer though as my system is an *** to drain

How much difference in the differential would you expect between the T6360 and the DT200? Is it easy to wire up the anticipator on the T6360 or wouldn't you bother messing with that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back