Adding Spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please bear with me. Is there a simple indicator of which type of power circuit - ring or radial - I have.

I want to install extra power pointsand 2 FCUs - one for washing machine,one for extractor fan. :?:

Sponsored Links
anto said:
Please bear with me. Is there a simple indicator of which type of power circuit - ring or radial - I have.

I want to install extra power pointsand 2 FCUs - one for washing machine,one for extractor fan. :?:

go to consumer unit and take cover off. do 2 wires leave the fuse/MCB? if 1, then radial, if 2 then ring

EDIT: if there are 2 cables, test for continuity to make sure they on a ring

i wouldn't bet on that

I replaced a CCU the other day. 3 fuseways each had 2 phase conductors yet the flat was only fitted with 2 ring circuits. The 3rd was the lighting cct, who ever had upgraded the wiring in the 70s had run a seperate feed to the light in the lobby where the fuse box was fitted.

If you are unsure get a sparky in to check.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that guys. I had gotten a sparky in - which was a feat in itself because they seem as rare as hens teeth here in Belfast - but he said that he would run all the cables under the proposed new kitchen worktops from any spurs he would add. I took this to mean that the cables would not be buried in the walls and therefore would require to be buried if/when another new kitchen was fitted at a later date. Is this a common practice??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back