Utility Room Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brick built shed/utility adjacent to my kitchen with no lighting/power. In my kitchen I already have two spurs off the ring circuit, one to a double socket under the worktop for washing machine, the other to a FCU feeding the hob extractor above the wall units.

Without running a new radial circuit from the CU how can I get power to the shed. I was thinking that I could allocate the FCU to feed through the wall to the shed, and use one of the sockets to power the extractor fan, replacing the double socket with a single and a FCU.

Thanks for any advice.

jezzer

Sponsored Links
jezzer99 said:
I was thinking that I could allocate the FCU to feed through the wall to the shed, and use one of the sockets to power the extractor fan, replacing the double socket with a single and a FCU.

Using the FCU to power the shed will limit you to 13 amps in the shed. That's a restriction you, or somebody else, may come to curse in the future. :mad: :mad: :mad: Someday you might want to put a washing machine and a tumble drier out there - and maybe a freezer too. :( :( :(

Replacing the double socket with a single and an FCU is equivalent to putting two sockets on the end of a spur. And so you sacrifice a useful socket under the bench to create something that's not allowed! :oops: :oops: :oops:

To do the job properly, follow oharaf's advice and extend the ring into the shed. You have two spurs off the ring already. If you can break the ring between their joining points you can run a cable from each of them into the shed and complete the ring there. :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back