...adding spurs?

30 amp choc's required.

With care they will fit inside the existing 25mm back box, the cavate being that the socket type is standard (not metal flat plates which have space issues in the box due to more of the socket components being in the box).

Soldering 2.5mm TE is quite an art. Best way tends to be to wrap the cores to be soldered with some fine wire 1st to help hold the job together.

Since the earths can be fixed to the back box earth stud, 2 wires (L and N) joined together via chocs won't be an issue, just be carefull where you decide to place the chocs.

The corner areas inside the back box (but away from cable entries) tend to suit best.

• Thanks
Reactions: tuk
Sponsored Links
thnx,

had another idea, but don't know if its allowed..stashing the choc/join behind the skirting? ..as there is quite a large cavity there ..and it would still be accessible by removing the skirt

like this:

I would not consider a joint hidden behind the skirts as eaisly accessible, so I would not recommend that as a option.
The idea of a slightly deeper back box could be 35mm will be your next suitable size.
There is a fantastic post on soldered joints, will do a search for it and see if I can link you to it.
But I don't think in this case that is an option either.

do you need another double socket then you could just spur off the existing double

Sponsored Links
yeh I seen that, but it seems the space between the top of the wall and the ceiling is allowed ...as it stands I'm going to have 15 wires + choc in the backbox ...the horizontal run along the skirt would only be 7" in length ... and could cut a face-plate sized door for future access

yeh I seen that, but it seems the space between the top of the wall and the ceiling is allowed
Yes, but the equivalent space at the bottom of the wall is not.

...as it stands I'm going to have 15 wires + choc in the backbox
:?: 15 :?:

...the horizontal run along the skirt would only be 7" in length
Irrelevant.

... and could cut a face-plate sized door for future access
Access is not the issue.

Contravention of 522.6.6 is.

Yes, but the equivalent space at the bottom of the wall is not.
sure, but why is this any less safe? ..if anything the top of the wall has less protection as there is no skirt

how many do you count?

Irrelevant.
7" isnt 700m ..its entirely relevant

Access is not the issue.
if you read the thread you will see access is an issue

Contravention of 522.6.6 is.[/i]
the two things are not mutually exclusive ..quite the opposite
----------------

I suppose I could pull the ring-leg back under the floorboards and run it along 7" under there..

tuk
what I would do, is do some investigating and find out where the legs of RFC comes from that are going to the socket, then remove the cable that needs extending and run a new one in there place, so no joints needed.
Then continue the RFC between existing outlet and new one.

sure, but why is this any less safe? ..if anything the top of the wall has less protection as there is no skirt
I have absolutely no intention of starting a debate on what might or might not be the rationale behind the regulations for zones for concealed cables.

What I will tell you, one more time, is that where you propose to run a horizontal cable is NOT one of the approved zones, so what you propose to do IS a contravention of the Wiring Regulations whether you like it or not.

how many do you count?

Although I have lost track a bit of what you want to put where, but I can't see how you can get to 15, i.e. 5 x T/E cables.

7" isnt 700m ..its entirely relevant
No it isn't.

The regulations on concealed cables don't have exceptions along the lines of "unless it's only a few inches". Whether you like it or not that horizontal run does not comply.

if you read the thread you will see access is an issue
the two things are not mutually exclusive ..quite the opposite
Your post:
yeh I seen that, but it seems the space between the top of the wall and the ceiling is allowed ...as it stands I'm going to have 15 wires + choc in the backbox ...the horizontal run along the skirt would only be 7" in length ... and could cut a face-plate sized door for future access
came immediately after mine where I said that the horizontal cable run behind the skirting is not allowed, so there's no way of not regarding it as a reply to that, i.e. that you thought that cutting an access door would resolve the concealed cable contravention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back