Adding stud wall in a window opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I added an extension to my house and the new bedroom only had a window leading outside. Now that window leads into the kitchen (extension). Am about to add a window in different wall and would like to take the window out and "complete" the wall.

I have a couple of C16 47x100 timbers left from the build and am wondering if using those to form a stud wall with noggins, then come up with plasterboard and finish it off would be ok. Planning to keep the cill, redo and use in the bedroom as space for pictures and on the other end (kitchen end) to add some hanging cupboards.

My questions are:

- will c16 timber be sufficient? None of the sides will be exposed to outside.
- I presume I'd have to add some plywood on the kitchen side where the cupboards will be for added strength?
- I assume that keeping and making use of the current window wood frame would not be an issue? It doesn't appear to be rotten or damaged.

Anu suggestions would be most appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20220223_201047.jpg
    IMG_20220223_201047.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20220223_201053.jpg
    IMG_20220223_201053.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
sounds like you got a plan. go for it.

Thanks, just wanted some advice and a view as to whether this would be the way or not... Also wanted confirmation on whether c16 timber would be ok or not, as it is a fairly large window opening (1,75m x 1,2m).

yes fine. theres a lintel above . 2” timbers would do. especially if you also intend ply lining one side.

Sponsored Links
Just make sure you put in intermediate vertical studs at 600mm (or better 400mm) centres

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back