Adding Underfloor Heating Controls To “S” Plan System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, folks, I have an “S” system, heat only oil boiler with no pump over run or room stat by choice, I would like to add the wiring for a zone valve, pump and programmable room stat to operate a newly installed UFH circuit and to have it run independently or together with the existing heating .I would be grateful if some kind soul could cast their eye over this and hopefully fill in the blanks please to include the dumbest type of thermostat I can get away with ?
Flow for Ufh is Teed off before main circulating pump.
I have only included the control wires in the existing circuit or it would be more of a mess than it is:LOL:
Thanks
litl
8892B16C-4BEA-4514-B6A9-9F80A110E61F.jpeg

18E60B1D-6A7F-4473-8FEA-D5B14AA3DB69.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Think you have missed the main point, you need to walk on floors, at 70°C this would not be possible, in the main we limit floor temperature to 27°C.

With water systems the idea is to have the water circulating in the UFH set cooler than the water going through radiators.

Normal method is to circulate the UFH water then add a bit of hot water when it cools down.

With a modulating gas boiler because the boiler turns down rather than off/on, reasonable simple, really not sure how it is done with an on/off oil boiler.

I would guess you have two independent circulating supplies, one at around 70°C to 80°C and other at 27°C but never looked into how it is done. Underfloor heating was done some years back
roman_gardens_2.jpg
See the Chester hypocaust, but today we tend to look at speed, we want to be able to not heat when premises empty, and heat only when occupied, ideal is the fan assisted radiator, however with domestic we tend to plumb in parallel, and use modulating boilers, OK not in your case, but the condensating modulating boiler does not work well with fan assisted radiators.

However the oil boiler is not condensating modulating boiler, so it would work OK with a fan assisted radiator.

I have to admit my use of geofencing has not gone well. Don't know if down to my system or in general.

Think you have missed the main point, you need to walk on floors, at 70°C this would not be possible, in the main we limit floor temperature to 27°C.

With water systems the idea is to have the water circulating in the UFH set cooler than the water going through radiators.

Normal method is to circulate the UFH water then add a bit of hot water when it cools down.

With a modulating gas boiler because the boiler turns down rather than off/on, reasonable simple, really not sure how it is done with an on/off oil boiler.

I would guess you have two independent circulating supplies, one at around 70°C to 80°C and other at 27°C but never looked into how it is done. Underfloor heating was done some years back
roman_gardens_2.jpg
See the Chester hypocaust, but today we tend to look at speed, we want to be able to not heat when premises empty, and heat only when occupied, ideal is the fan assisted radiator, however with domestic we tend to plumb in parallel, and use modulating boilers, OK not in your case, but the condensating modulating boiler does not work well with fan assisted radiators.

However the oil boiler is not condensating modulating boiler, so it would work OK with a fan assisted radiator.

I have to admit my use of geofencing has not gone well. Don't know if down to my system or in general.
Thanks, have edited original post if that makes it any clearer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back