Adding Value

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of deciding what improvements to complete in my home. What are the best improvement\suggestion to add extra value onto a house. Ie. new batchroom ? kitchen? garden?

Sponsored Links
Kitchen and bathroom normally, with emphasis on the kitchen. Wouldn't bother too much with the garden as long as it is tidy.

heeelllooo snolan and welcome

my suggestion would be to ask your local estate agents what will put value on propertys in your area
then you develop the property to your timescale and requirements
so if your doing it up for the money do the alterations that will bring you the best returns and chance of selling

if you plan to live there for years do it up for yourself with selling in mind
also what will make a house sailable this year may put people off farther down the road

and if it has period features resist the temtation to remove any without checking first

Sponsored Links
If you intend to stay put then do things the way you want them, though big-all's comments on period features are worth keeping in mind.

If you're doing it up to sell, the most often heard advice on those house programs that fill our TV channels is to keep it plain and simple and do the minimum. Example: if the kitchen units and bathroom suite are in reasonable condition just clean them and leave them. Don't spend a four figure sum on brand new ones because the first thing the new owners will do is chuck them in the skip!

Try to get a much 'bare' wooden features in: stripped door frames, exposed doors etc.
And of course, replace older carpets with wooden flooring.

A report from ICI woodcare 2000 stated that this can increase the value of your home between £5000 to £15000

If you are intending doing it up to sell on, then as felix says keep it pretty cheap. A mate of, well ok, acquaintence, of mine does the following.

Installs a very cheap wooden kitchen, with cheap stainless steel appliances if the old one is naff.

Puts in a cheap white bathroom, with white tiles, and cheap accessories if the old one is naff.

Put the cheapest possible laminate flooring down.
Paints all the walls the same neutral shade.

Then he dresses the flat / house. Puts in a state of the art surround sound system, with large flat screen telly.

Luxurious cream leather sofas. Very expensive furniture

Really expensive small kitchen appliances, i.e top of the range coffee makers, food mixers, toasters, pasta making machines, knives .... you get the picture.

Puts his apple / iPod / iPaq / Laptop, state of the art of course in the study.

When he comes to sell the place, for the price of one cheapo kitchen / c**p laminate floors, lick of paint, he clear a very substantial profit, such that he has no need for any other employment. Of course onnce it's sold, all the expensive stuff goes, leaving the new occupants with a magnolia coloured shell.

A loft conversion is cheaper than extension which should value to your house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back