Value for money projects ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've been looking for a good UK DIY forum for a while, congratulations to all concerned for making DIYnot by far the best forum of this type I've seen so far :D.

I have a three bedroom semi detached in the midlands UK, I plan on selling the house soon (probably about a year or less), I now have plenty of time to spare and intend to do whatever jobs I can to increase the value of the property, I'm not in the building trade but have done plenty of DIY in the past, anyway what I need to know is what jobs would be worth doing ie: increase the property value by more than the cost of the job, I intend to seek the advise of a local estate agent but for now I'm looking for general advise on what's generally considered good value jobs ie:double glazing, garage (would only need 1 side wall, roof and door + proper concrete base), what about central heating (currently have back boiler hot water + central heating).

I realise no one can give specific advise without knowing the area or property but as I said I'm just looking for general advise ideas on what sells houses for the best return financially.

Thanks for taking the time to read :D.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo ken

my suggestion to you is ask the esate agent what sells in your area

eg garden or parking space pvc or origional sash windows

ensiute, shower , extra loft room ,maximum that any one will
pay for your type of property in your area
best market to aim for

also ask what he presently values it at and how much each
feature will increase the value

and most off al ask in 3 estate agents for oppinions

goooooood luuuuuuck :LOL: :LOL: ;)

big all

See this and this. (there are some more details on the same page)

I have built a big L-shape summerhouse in my garden with hot tub + cast iron fire etc and was shock that I has put the approx' value up over £45k just by doing the garden up. The estate agent said " Kitchen used to be number 1 selling point but now it's garden ! " from a recent survey, maybe because there're so many flats going up with no garden ??? or just in our area I don't know. Also I know off street parking is a selling point.

You could do your own survey inviting some friends round to find out their opinion of good & bad point if they were buying from you.

masona - hot tub.....open fire......star/moonlight

you sure do know how to impress the ladyeeezz!!!:cool:

Sponsored Links
Ken, can't really say as I don't know the area but from a personal viewpoint.
I'd say - kitchen then central heating then garden (front especially + back) then garage.
Tailor it to your likely purchasers i.e. if it's a family area then I reckon the kitchen, heating and garden have got to be your priorities. If young couple then garage probably higher up on the list.
It also seems that a good paint job (neutral colours) and new carpets/flooring go a long way.
Good Luck

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply, some interesting points made, the idea of identifying the likely purchasers and what their needs would be is something I knew about but perhaps haven't given enough thought to.
masona : thanks for the links, some interesting reading there.

deffinently go for the garden, as you only get one chance to make a first impression.

Gravel is very cheap (although can be a lot of hard work)
we have got rid of all the grass in our garden, guess what is there now.

breezer said:
we have got rid of all the grass in our garden, guess what is there now.
Lawnmower for sale? :LOL:

hmmm, Hot tub?

Summerhouse?

BTW please don't reply to old post :LOL: ;)

According to Wood. for Good wooden features increases the value of your house:
Wooden flooring adds not only beauty, but also value to your home. Having wooden features in your home can increase the value of your property with an amazing amount (source ICI Woodcare).

Don't go for the 'cheap' Melamine Laminated with wood-look if you choose for wooden flooring or for 'cheap' chinese solid. The first will sound 'plastic' and will feel cold, the second can have lots of widths differences in one board! (seen 140mm boards who were 135 at one point and 142 at the other end!, only suitable if you plan a bicycle rack ;)

WoodYouLike said:
Don't go for the 'cheap' Melamine Laminated with wood-look if you choose for wooden flooring or for 'cheap' chinese solid. The first will sound 'plastic' and will feel cold, the second can have lots of widths differences in one board! (seen 140mm boards who were 135 at one point and 142 at the other end!, only suitable if you plan a bicycle rack ;)

I dunno, some of the medium-quality laminates can look pretty good and are still quite reasonable compared to hardwood or carpet.

Thing is though, whilst laminate can look good when it complements the room it is in, you must resist the temptation to fill your whole house with the stuff... Looking at the property websites it would seem every single house in the county has been filled with laminate. I swear it's only a matter of time before someone does the walls and ceilings with it too! :LOL:

AdamW said:
Looking at the property websites it would seem every single house in the county has been filled with laminate. I swear it's only a matter of time before someone does the walls and ceilings with it too! :LOL:
That'll be my fault if it takes off because I have :oops: :LOL:

I have it across one side of my office wall up to the dado rail level, does look nice against the desk :!:

breezer said:
masona said:
BTW please don't reply to old post :LOL: ;)
although you jest 3 days is not old 7, days is

I don't agree that replying to an old post is always A Bad Thing. Just because the original poster has probably cleared off by now, doesn't mean browsing folks might value the ideas of subsequent posters.

AdamW said:
WoodYouLike said:
Looking at the property websites it would seem every single house in the county has been filled with laminate. I swear it's only a matter of time before someone does the walls and ceilings with it too! :LOL:

Yuk, what a thought. However I must admit to taking this one stage further with the help of the french.

They sell the upvc tongue and groove sheets, like the ones used for barge boards and soffits, but in a dozen styles of deco finish for all interior applications. Every shade of marble!

My poor mum now has an entire bathroom made of marble UPVC, walls, ceiling, shower cubicle, the lot!

Now before I get abusive messages, consider it is cheap, very easy to fit, incredibly easy to waterproof and fairly durable providing you don't whack it hard or use a scourer. It is also much easier for a new buyer to 'take back' than tiles if they don't like it, which is inevitable!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back