Adding washing machine waste to existing waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on moving my washing machine from the kitchen to a large cupboard that is next to the kitchen. The waste pipe from the kitchen passes through the cupboard so I think I just need to add in an appropriate waste fitting for the washing machine. The existing waste pipe is about a foot off at the ground at the point it passes through the cupboard.

The options see to be either a stand-pipe or a dedicated fitting. I can only find the dedicated fitting as part of sink traps though. Also, the stand pipe kits I've seen are designed to be fitted on the end of a waste pipe, not in the middle of an existing one. Can anyone offer me some advice in what I need for my situation?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Would the self-cutting one not still need a trap between it and the waste stack or does the non-return valve replace a trap?

I never used a trap and the fitting was on the soil pipe side of the sink trap. I never had an issue with smells. I suppose you could make a U shape in the washing machine drain hose in case any air gets through the non-return valve.

Sponsored Links
Would the self-cutting one not still need a trap between it and the waste stack or does the non-return valve replace a trap?

still should be before a trap.

and not a u shape in the w/machine hose :rolleyes:

I have finally got around to this little job and have discovered a problem. I was planning to add a swept T join into the existing 'horizontal' waste pipe and then have an S trap above that with a couple of feet of vertical on top for the washing machine outlet to feed into. My problem is that I've discovered that the compression joint S traps that I've found are all designed to fit directly underneath a sink, i.e. one end of the trap is designed to fit onto the threaded sink outlet and not simple pipe. I want an 'inline' S trap designed to fit between two lengths of pipe, does such a thing exist?

Thanks!

Cant you just T into the horizontal pipe.

Run a short piece off the branch on the tee and then get a hockey stick type washing machine drain and trap and connect to the small branch off your tee using the compression supplied with hockey stick type trap, then just sit you flexable washing machine drain into it?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the hockey stick type trap, can you find a picture?

Thanks!

Put a short piece of 40mm pipe in the outlet side of the trap, stick a 90 degree bend on that, pointing down, use the rest of your 40mm pipe to join in to your horizontal (ish) waste pipe. (Or, keep the side exit, and run 40mm to the soil pipe and bung on a boss.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the hockey stick type trap, can you find a picture?

http://www.ukhps.co.uk/images/WM_3.jpeg

sorry can get the picture on here for some reason dont know why let me know what your thinking do you understand my plan now

Ah OK, that wouldn't quite work as my T would be pointing up and the end of the 'hockey stick' would be horizontal (and I need to keep it all in one plane) but as a previous poster suggested, a right angle joint would turn the end of the 'hockey stick' into an S trap...

Thanks!

Why cant the brach of your T go sideways? is there no room or something?

Why cant the brach of your T go sideways? is there no room or something?

The existing pipe goes across the back of the cupboard and I'd like to keep any new plumbing up against the back wall so as not to waste any space.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back