Adding wireless door contacts to Wired system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a veritas mains hard wired panel, keypad, with 3 PIR wired sensors and SAB pretty standard, but now have pets and wish to add some door contacts and disable tthe PIR's. to avoid false triggers

As far as I can see the route would be to add Texecom Ricochet Wireless Expansion Kit and then add the wireless sensors . However its starting to add up in terms of cost, £70 for 2 x door contacts, £75 for the expansion kit would the money be better spent removing the wired system and putting in a new wireless one ? Or is there a cheaper route to achieve the same (I cant/dont want to run cables to the doors)

Sponsored Links
It’s doing the maths sometimes ….and what you want from the system …..And may want in the future

I don’t believe the Veritas range is compatible with any of the Ricochet devices. Have you considered changing the pir’s to pet friendly detectors such as Texecom Capture or Bosch Blueline? This would probably be the cheapest option in my opinion

Hi thanks yes considered pet tolerant devices although from this forum at least there seemed little confidence in them / few recommendations. From looking briefly at the expander/relay kit they just wired onto an empty zone so any control panel would be suitable with an unused zone ?

Sponsored Links
What pet ( size of pet ) do you have ? Have found the Bosch pet tolerant detectors to be very good …..again depending on location

I’ve not have any issues with pet friendly detectors. I have heard cats can cause issues if jumping on high level furniture. Haven’t used the expansion kit but should work with the Veritas if it’s using relays and can be wired into any zone. If going to the expense of the expansion kit may be worth looking at the cost of a Premier Elite 64-W and keypad as this would support wireless devices and four wired zones and would also allow for a smartcom to be installed in the future allowing for remote control and notifications via an app

What pet ( size of pet ) do you have ? Have found the Bosch pet tolerant detectors to be very good …..again depending on location
A cat and 35kg dog unfortunately, I’ve ordered some of the Texecom pirs with pet wise option will give it a soak test with these see how it goes

I wouldn’t as the Texecom one are POOR
Plus saying you have a dog is pointless …..small dog should be fine anything Springer size and above a no no

Don’t recommend pet sensors full stop.

The capture range isnt bad when it comes to pet wise, but have to get the right one based on the pet you have or what it will become as it gets older.

The capture range are easily switched between pet and non pet modes.

Doing a take over today and they didn’t have pets but they had pet friendly sensors fitted not Texecom ones,

Showed them how easy it was not to trigger them and I am a big lad. And only had to drop to my knees and and lower my head an inch and could move freely without activating, compare that to non pet friendly and I would struggle to crawl along the floor without being detected.

The Veritas can use the ricochet expansion pack but can’t use Dual tech sensors with them or bell boxes.so it’s limited.

We only fit these if the customer wants to keep things the same as they were for simplicity sake. Usually the older generations.

also you can link multiple devices onto a hard wired zone. So windows upstairs for example.

Agree that looking at the expansion pack, you may want to consider 64-W panel and keypad or a kit. The veritas does have second hand value on places like eBay so if it’s working don’t bin it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and all makes sense. Where I am with the sensors though is yes if you know how to you can avoid triggering them but the isn’t the reality that 99% of intruders don’t give a ****e about setting it off, these scumbags they know you have an alarm, they are coming in anyway and the alarm will either be a means of limiting their robbing time if they are disturbed by a good neighbour or they are more concerned about being caught than if no alarm at all sounding ? They are not going to crawl around like something from a movie dodging laser beams etc are they ? (Well not in my average English semi anyway!)

many types of intruder and time is there best friend and foe.

alarms have to activate and either silently or audible raise the alarm.

the best prevention is not to lead into temptation.

if you have a garage use it.
don’t post your out on social media or what you got for Christmas.
valuables out of view, yes seen visitors look through windows wearing gloves on cctv when they had no right to be there.
lock your doors and windows especially if your out.

pet sensors can be triggered by pets (false alarm), and are less likely to be activated by people. Yes it is unlikely without prior knowledge they will break in where there is no protection and make there way round the house on hands and knees.

but it does happen, seen some strange things over the years and internal and external cctv can be an eye opener.

once watched some footage of two lads, coming out of bushes a short while after the home owner left their house, apparently they were rushing somewhere and left a door unlocked making intruders life so much easier but they did set their alarm. They got disturbed by the neighbour and police did attend site, because the owner was notified by lists of the sensors being triggered and then ringing there neighbour, police where at their house before they got home. The intruders removed the external bell box and removed a keypad.

the original installation company didn’t secure these items very well, so won’t have taken much to remove. To be fair that made the devices reusable as not damaged.

Thanks for the help and advice on here. I’m going to fit the expander and relay as it’s the least hassle to do rather than swap out the control box and keypad which would be the better option at least I can then add wireless devices and keep wired ones with an upgrade path if I wish in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back