Adding zone valve between pump and Boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

It's been a while since I've been on here, as I've been managing to work away so far.

My question here is as per my sketch, what issues would I see if I installed a zone valve in between the boiler and pump?

Practically, the boiler feed and return pipes run only 15cm's behind the wall of 2 radiators that I'm looking to connect up to the system. The pump is currently 2 rooms away from the radiators beside the hot water tank.
I really don't want to go to the expense of running new tubing back to the hot water tank just to tee in these radiators.

My thinking is that so times you come across pumps on the return side of the boiler and seem not to have issues, similarly, the flow from the pump would circulate through the radiator, although not directly pushing it through, if the valve was on the downstream side.

If it's a stupid idea or would cause all sorts of problems, I could move the pump towards the boiler and run longer wires to the wiring centre instead.

Thoughts??

Attachments

• splanschematic.gif
    splanschematic.gif
    12 KB · Views: 140
Sponsored Links
How are you wiring your new zone valve? My initial thoughts are that it won't work if you are interlocking the new valve with the boiler.

It was going to be wired like any other zone valve opens then signaling the boiler to fire.

With regards to drawing, I think I can see what you are meaning here. When the pump switches on, it could suck the fluid from the return side through the rad then zone valve. Am I correct there?
It may look like better to move the pump instead then!

Sponsored Links
No it wont suck :D move the pump so it is between the boiler and zone valves.

Op: think what would happen in a situation whereby the newly installed valve opens and fires the boiler and runs the pump!

Unstoppable force vs immovable object :D

Thanks all. After looking a problem on and off for a while sometimes you can't see the leaves due to the trees!!

A job for the weekend then.

:)

If you have a F&E tank associated with your boiler, make sure that if you do move any components that nothing is inserted in the section of pipe between the boiler and the open vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back