Additional 13A sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed 2 new 2gang 13A sockets in a conservatory using a 2 wire system ( loop ). I have a problem identifying 2 consecutive sockets on the existing ring main. I have one suitably positions un-spurred socket but have no idea where the next or previous sockets are,(certainly not in the same small entrance hall).

Sponsored Links
634cah said:
I have installed 2 new 2gang 13A sockets in a conservatory using a 2 wire system ( loop ). I have a problem identifying 2 consecutive sockets on the existing ring main. I have one suitably positions un-spurred socket but have no idea where the next or previous sockets are,(certainly not in the same small entrance hall).

why do you need to know where they are? and there more commonly known as ring mains

andrew2022 said:
634cah said:

why do you need to know where they are? and there more commonly known as ring mains

Thanks for the quick responce. As I understand I need to take a feed from 1 socket on the ring main and return the loop to the next socket along after removing the existing connection between the two.

634cah said:
andrew2022 said:
634cah said:

Thanks for the quick responce. As I understand I need to take a feed from 1 socket on the ring main and return the loop to the next socket along after removing the existing connection between the two.

Correct. What you can do, is disconnect both cables from the feeder socket on the ring main. Feed both wires from the "new ring" to here, connect 1 of the new cables to one of the old cables, using terminal block. Then connect the remaining 2 to the socket. Ring main back to normal with 2 new sockets! ;)

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
634cah said:
andrew2022 said:
634cah said:

Correct. What you can do, is disconnect both cables from the feeder socket on the ring main. Feed both wires from the "new ring" to here, connect 1 of the new cables to one of the old cables, using terminal block. Then connect the remaining 2 to the socket. Ring main back to normal with 2 new sockets! ;)

Yep, that makes a lot of sense. Fantastic site - problem solved over a cup fo coffee. Will recommend to others.

might have trouble fitting terminal block in the back of a socket box, might have to use crimps, applied with a proper rachet crimping tool...

Adam_151 said:
might have trouble fitting terminal block in the back of a socket box, might have to use crimps, applied with a proper rachet crimping tool...

I have access to timber studding behind socket box so will affix terminal block to that. Thanks.

If you have access to the rear like that then use a proper junction box - I don't think that 30A choc-block will fit into one of those boxes....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back