Additional joists for loft boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I want to board my loft for storage. The house is only 4 years old. I am only looking to board the central section of 6m x 2.4m. The joists in this section, 11 of them are at 600mm centres running 2.4 m in length.

The insulation is in 2 layers both running between the joists and is about 10cm or more above the joist level. I have seen elsewhere that it is OK to simply compact the insulation into the gap and board on the original joists. I am really not sure about this - surely the thermal property of glass fibre is dependant on the volume of trapped air?

So I am thinking of adding 38*89mm joists to give the insulation room. Question is should I:

1) Lay the raising joists in 2.4m lengths directly on the original joists then using 600x2400x18 TG Chipboard sheets:
a)at 90 degrees with staggered joints
b)10 of them all in a line

2)Lay the raising joists at 90 degrees to the joists thereby squashing the insulation at intervals. If I am doing this should I use a smaller gap? 400mm perhaps if using 2400x600 boards?

Fixing the raising joists - If they are across then I can screw in from the side at an angle and still hit the joist at inter-section. If directly on top in line can I still go in the side. Or am I simply best using 140mm screws straight through the top.

Advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back