additional socket installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to put in a 13A double socket into a room which is causing me a problem

The room is in an old stone built premises and was originally miles out of square

To "modernise" the room, it has been battened out to make it square, then tongue and grooved all around

Subsequently the room has been plasterboarded on top of the tongue and groove

Where the socket has to be located, the gap between the original stone wall and this new double thickness wall is about 12 inches

Can I can get a 12" deep backbox?

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I have thought about screwing a block of wood onto the wall and mounting the back box on that, but would need the skills of a gynaecologist to work that in

I have tried twice to fit a plasterboard back box, but in trying to force the clips to go behind the double layer (plasterboard + tongue and groove), I snap the back off the box, they seem to be designed to clip only onto 3/8" or 1/2" plasterboard

This is exasperating me

Anyone got any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
you could drill a metal box and screw it into the side of the wood

Would a surface-mount one look out of place?

Other than that, all I can think of is to cut a larger hole in the T&G than you need, then cut away an even larger square of plasterboard, and patch in a piece with a hole the right size and a plasterboard box in it..

sorry plugwas, can you expand on that reply

please bear in mind, the letterbox shape has already been cut to accept a backbox.

only after doing that, did I discover that there is a small cave behind this false wall

:D :D

Sponsored Links
bas

surface mounted not an option unless I am desperate as these are all polished chrome effect sockets and several have been fitted successfully already

i will consider the second option though but again the room has been plastered and decorated already

talk about cart before horse :D :D

i have another idea

cut some small square bars of wood

make them thinner in the middle and attach them to the back of the T&G using something like "no more nails" then screw the box to them.

I have encounted this problem before , i found if you cut some timber such as 2inch by 1 inch battern about 8 to 9 inches long you can slide it into the gap you have cut out ,then screw though the plater board and t&g beside the hole holding onto the battern pulling it tight against the inside of the T&G this done both sides of the hole cut out ,you then should be able to fix a metal 2gang flush box to this .If you screw the screws into the plaster board a tiny bit you can then polyfilla over the tops, sand and paint when dry ,so you dont see the tops of the screws.If the T&G + plaster board is <25mm add some spacing wood between the battern and the T&G.

plugwash said:
i have another idea

cut some small square bars of wood

make them thinner in the middle and attach them to the back of the T&G using something like "no more nails" then screw the box to them.

I've tried visualising this, and think I understand

I'll try this out

Cheers all

:D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back