Relocating sockets.

Sponsored Links
Which category as listed below do these junction boxes fall into?

Regulation 523.6

Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintanence, except for the following:

(i) A joint designed to be buried in the ground
(ii) A compound-filled or encapsulated joint
(iii) A connection between a cold tail and the heating element as in ceiling heating, floor heating or a trace heating system
(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool
(v) A joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate product standard.

Regulation 523.6

Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintanence, except for the following:
(iv)...or appropriate compression tool

A slightly educated guess on my behalf would put them in that category, only because the manufactures must be claiming their form of compression joint (tool?) is as conforming as crimping :)

Sponsored Links

Regulation 523.6

(i) A joint designed to be buried in the ground
(ii) A compound-filled or encapsulated joint
(iii) A connection between a cold tail and the heating element as in ceiling heating, floor heating or a trace heating system
(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool
(v) A joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate product standard.

There are several regulations relating to electrical connections. This is mentioned within chapter 13 in regulation 134.1.4 'Every electrical joint and connection shall be of proper construction as regards conductance, insulation, mechanical strength and protection'.

All met, stop there.

That is for all joints.

A joint which does not remain accessible for inspection, testing and maintanence must also comply with regulation 523.6.

That is for all joints.

A joint which does not remain accessible for inspection, testing and maintanence must also comply with regulation 523.6.

As a Handyman, my knowledge of lectrical regulations has now been exhausted. :LOL:

I suggest you (DIYers) listen to the experts and not me. I joined in this post to wind up a few electricians (for whom I have nothing but respect) for a bit of fun.

Sorry lads. :LOL:

To the OP:

You could move the socket positions up the walls a bit, re-using the existing cable. As it is, if they're old they're probably lower than they would be if installed now in a new building (45cm up from floor)

Steve - invest in a pair of crimpers, like these:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not one of these:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

Red & Blue crimps for the earth and L/N:

CTBUTTSLASHR.JPG

CTBUTTSLASHB.JPG

and some heat-shrink sleeving.

Practice a few times on some scrap bits of cable until you are sure that you can make sound joints.

Problem solved - pulled the downstairs wiring free from the stone wall plaster this morning. There is now plenty of slack to reach the new plasterboard wall. Thanks for everyone's help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back