Adequate Slab thickness for Built in Braai chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any guidance would be appreciated - tend to overengineer/overthink projects but am faced with slowly building a garden room (30m2 timber frame with flat roof) on an insulated slab with 150mm mesh reinforced concrete.
It will have an open fronted covered outdoor kitchen to one side which I want to install something like in the picture below but as I need to keep the structure under 2.5m for PD, I have limited headroom so will have to extend the brickwork (like a chimney)through the roof so its well insulated from any heat as its effectively a solid fuel open fire (subject to part J regs).

braai_built_in.jpg

The main question is, will the 150mm slab be sufficient for the loading of the associated brickwork/blockwork and the braai is around 230kg alone.

The back of the chimney will be positioned approx 125mm from the edge of the slab with a footprint of around 1.8x1m. Is it worth adding an edge beam around that area?

A rough sketchup of the approximate distance from top of the Braai (gather) to roof space shows its too close to combustibles (i will obviously have to rearrange the roof joists to fit around the chimney)
roof_detail.jpg

Any thoughts on the slab greatly appreciated

Attachments

• braai built in.jpg
    braai built in.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 74
  • roof detail.jpg
    roof detail.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back