Adequate supply for hob and double oven?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen has a 6sq mm cable supply and I wish to install a double oven (max 4.1kw on the label) and a separate 4 ring hob (not induction). Can both be connected to the single cable in a junction box of suitable rating? Or must a second supply be run from the consumer unit? Could the hob be safely run on a 13 amp plug?

Sponsored Links
You'll have to check what the manufacturer's instructions for the oven say (specifically what it needs to be fused at). If it says it can go on a 13A supply then you should be OK using the existing cable for hob and oven, if the MI say the oven needs to be fused at 20a, your gonna need a new cable installed.

I would say that the total loading of both oven & hob is very similar to that of a free standing Cooker and as there is no seperate fusing to the individual elements in a free standing cooker then it would be reasonable to not necessarily require anything other than the Circuit Fuse or mcb in the fusebox for protection for the oven & hob. A dual output Cooker outlet connection unit is available for connection of two appliances at one single point....to rear of oven etc. Only one pronblem you may have to consider is the Regs state that Manufacturers Instructions take precedence and if they contain directions for a max 20A fuse for the oven then your warranty could be invalid unless you comply.

the reason for not fusing individial parts in a free standing cooker is that the supply cable is adequately sized for the fuse / breaker and the internal wires are also suitably sized ( and likely of a higher temperature sort.. Sil/glass for example ).

a seperate oven often comes with a flex fitted, often 1.5mm or 2.5mm at most, not suitable for connection to a 32A or large supply..

Sponsored Links
coljack.
the o.p. described the appliance as a Double Oven....these are supplied Without any final connecting lead...and as i commented would be suitable for connection to a 32A supply ...unless the manufacturers instructions state otherwise.

I was replying to your post, not the op's.
you make no mention of a double oven, only that connecting an oven and hob would be akin to a frestanding cooker..

I was merely pointing out the descrepancies in that argument.

Hi Oggy
Check the man instructions .. these are usually very specific about hot to connect .. they will usually give you a min size cable required and will state what type of isolation switch to use.. Most 1.5 ovens require min 4mm cable .. combine this with an electric hob again min 4mm. when connected usuing a dual 45 amp cooker control unit taking diversity into acount then the existing 6mm supply on a 32 amp mcb will be sufficient, as long as the circuit does not exceed certain lengths and no insulation.
If you are unsure of these factors then the manufacturers instructions also usually state that the appliances should be installed by a suitably qualified electrician. |If you have a prob with appliances after installation and the MI have not been followed then the warranty will be deemed void.. I have seen this happen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back