Hob/oven power supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

We're currently looking at replacing our single oven to a double. We have an electric hob which has a max rating of 6.2KW (~27A) and the new oven has a max rating of 4.1KW (~18A). Both of these are fed from a 6mm twin and earth cable and 32A breaker. The distance from the CU to the hob/oven is 6m and is within trunking buried in the solid floor.

My question is, would the 6mm twin and earth cable be sufficient for the new oven and the hob?

I found an article on something similar to this question and they showed a diversity calculation so i did the same and got the following:

6.2KW/230V = 27A (hob)
4.1KW/230V = 18A (oven)

27+18 = 45A total

Now take first 10A and add 30% of remaining load:

10+(35x30%) = 20.5A

Does this appear correct? If so then i'm hoping that our current 6mm cable and 32A breaker is still okay?

Any help would be much appreciated

Kind Regards

Sam

Sponsored Links
Unless you have an induction hob that should be OK all cable being 6mm. However some manufactures require one to fuse down to a maximum less than 32A so you will need to read manufactures spec specially on oven.

Sponsored Links
Assuming that the circuit is OK, i.e. a 32A breaker is appropriate for the cable, then the worst that will happen is that the breaker will trip.

If that keeps happening then it's new floor or gas hob time.

But do check the oven specs - if your new one is from a maker based in continental Europe then they may have assumed a 16A circuit, and may require it to be fused no higher than that....

Yes, I've checked the oven specs (electrolux) and it states that a minimum cable CSA of 6mm should be used and a suitable MCB must be used along with a double pole isolation switch with contact gaps of at least 3mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back