Adhesive for HardieBacker

sh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am currently re-fitting a shower room as follows.

We are using a corner cubicle.
All walls are back to bare brick/block and are pretty uneven.
I have decided to use Hardie backer on all 4 walls as it is only a smallish room and won't be that costly to do. Also the tiles we have chosen are approx 32kg / sq m (inc addy).
My question is, if I dot and dab the board to the walls first, before fixing with screw, what do I use as adhesive ?
I have looked on the James Hardie web site but do not seem to be able to find an info.
Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

Do you think I have chosen the correct way / product (hardiebacker) for the job ?

No harm in it. Personally I would plasterboard and tank it, but it won't be a problem so long as the board is properly supported.

Sponsored Links
As I screwing to brick / blockwork could you recommend a screw type as most seem to be for timber / metal.

Thanks

Thanks for you help with this.
One final question, I was going to use 12.5mm but as it will be both dot & dabbed and onto solid walls will 6mm be ok to use ?

I was going to use 12.5mm but as it will be both dot & dabbed and onto solid walls will 6mm be ok to use ?
Most definitely not; & you must mechanically fix the PB if your tiling onto it or the whole lot could end up on the floor. You can use moisture resistant PB in dry areas & tile direct onto that but in wet areas, don’t waste your time with PB of any sort. You will have to tank it if you want it to last any length of time so you might as well use a decent 12mm tile backer board (again mechanically fixed) & tile straight onto that; the cost difference is negligible over tanking PB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back