Adhesive for Oak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have made quite a lot of Solid Oak furniture and I have a problem with the adhesive I use for the joints. I always use PVA wood adhesives which is fine for soft woods but when used with Oak, very often excess adhesive from the joint turns very black and resembles hard charcoal. After sanding down all is fixed but I do not know of a suitable adhesive suitable for Oak which does not suffer from this effect.
Can anyone advice a suitable glue for use with Oak?

Sponsored Links
Excess glue will generally only go black when it comes into contact with metal ie if it touches a clamp thats holding the joint together.

You should not have problems with PVA although I prefer Titebond II which is an alphatic resin, it sets faster and is easier to sand. I think Rutlands in the reply above sell it.

Jason

Hi Eddie M and jasonb.
I think on reflection jasonb has identified my problem. The contact with metal effect just did not occur to me, as I can't recal having a similar problem with soft wood.
I will certainly try Titebond II which I assume will have similar characteristics if in contact with metal?
Thanks for the solution.

Sponsored Links
You probably know this but just in case do not use any steel fittings (screws, pins, hinges etc) with oak. The oak will turn blue around the fittings but will not sand off. Use brass but pilot drill first or use a temporary steel screw to form the hole or you will twist off the brass screw.

The blue/black stains are caused when the tannin in the oak combines with the water in the glue to form tannic acid. Tannic acid in contact with steel or iron produces ferric oxide, a permanent blue/black stain. You can bleach out the stain, however, using oxallic acid, which is available from some trade decorator outlets in crystal form.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back