Adhesive suitable for concrete floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the problem is that I have a 30-year-old laminate floor in my hall, and a couple of sections at the edge were badly damaged by the previous owner, so I’ve managed to chop them out for replacement.

I couldn’t do it any other way, as far as I can figure out, for a couple of reasons – (a) this kind isn't available any more (all different sizes and thicknesses now); (b) it was installed when the house was being built, so is under the skirting boards.

Anyway, I managed to chisel two damaged pieces out quite neatly, scrounged a bit which is nearly the right thickness, and cut it to size. When I set the 2 new pieces in, I was pretty satisfied with the result.

So… I vacuumed the concrete floor, washed, let dry, applied No More Nails the next day – put the laminate pieces in position, and piled bricks on top. Over 24 hours later, sadly I was able to lift the pieces out again. The NMN hadn’t stuck to the concrete at all, and was still quite easy to scrape off the bottom of the laminate.

So I guess it’s not suitable for this kind of application – what would you suggest? Would silicone be any good? Tile adhesive?

Thanks all :D

PS I know laminate shouldn't normally stuck down, but the interleave bits are completely different on the new piece, and I can't see any other way...

Sponsored Links
If you stick it down, the other laminate may move, and you'd have a gap. Get some superglue, and accelerator, and glue the boards together. Otherwise, put a bit of plastic under the join, and use silicone sealant to join the boards together.

Otherwise, put a bit of plastic under the join, and use silicone sealant to join the boards together.

Did that, thanks :D

Now all I need is something subtle to fill the gap with. I mean, it already is filled, in that the boards are stuck together with brown silicone, but it's much too dark - think maybe I'll mix some brown and white, try to get an approximation of the laminate colour, and slip a little into the gap...

IMAG1536.jpg

I mean, I know it's not perfect, but it's as close as I'm going to get when they don't make it any more.

Guess I'll replace it all some day, but it'll do for now :cool:

Sponsored Links
So then I decided to mix some brown and white silicones to see if they'd hide the seam better:

IMAG0051.jpg
IMAG0050.jpg

- just needs a wipe round the edges with white spirit... not too bad a job I thought :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back