Adhesive to fix chrome legs to glass table top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have of very minimalist nest of coffee tables.
The tops are purely glass and are only attached in a "floating" style to the chrome-finish legs (actually just a square frame each side) by means of a small block both sides. So just two metal blocks each of an area around two square inches. So not much area IMO, and one has become detached.

It looks like some kind of glue was used to stick the glass to the metal block, so I scraped it off with a razor blade and tried super-gluing it back on. No good - detached again after a couple of days' use. Next I tried some left-over epoxy I had - might have been specifically labelled "for plastics". Seemed to work OK for a few weeks, but eventually came apart again.

So what might work better? I think epoxy is available labelled specifically "for glass" and also some "for metal". But which should I try? It appears the last lot stayed stuck on the glass, but came away from the chrome block, which is surprising because the metal side has a faint ridged circular pattern of grooves engraved on the surface, so I would have thought the adhesive could get good purchase on that.

The other legs/tables have stayed stuck on fine, so there must be some kind of adhesive designed for the job that was used originally.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies!
I happened to be passing my local Halfords yesterday, so popped in to get that Mirror Adhesive. It says on it "only for glass and metal", so I'll give it a try. It looks better value than that Araldite anyway, which is more expensive than the table is likely worth!

Sponsored Links
Update:
I've given the car mirror adhesive a try. Seems to have stuck OK. It comes with a special fabric that acts as a bonding layer between the metal and glass - I guess it reacts to the adhesive somehow to form some kind of intermediary that sticks to both materials itself.

Let's see how well it lasts - I'll be back here to report if it's short-lived! :cautious:

Just seen this, I know you're sorted now, but tigerseal (or other brands..) would do, comes in a cartridge for a gun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back