Adhesive with only low / medium strength? for attaching wall trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wondered if anyone can help me - I'm attaching lightweight wall trim (some kind of hardened polystyrene, not wood / MDF) to a painted plaster / brick wall. It's purely aesthetic obviously and doesn't need much strength, the pieces are very light. I'm reluctant to use something like No More Nails because there is a good chance I / the wife will change our mind in a couple of years when the fashion changes and we will redecorate and then I've got a painful job to remove it all, probably hacking plaster off with the trim. I toyed with using caulk but surely thats a bodge too far - any other options? Note sure how this trim material would react to a nail gun - it looks like it might shatter and I don't have any spare piece to try it on. Any other thoughts? Wood glue?!

This is the product

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I have only fitted that kind of stuff once (on a ceiling). I used a pin gun with 18ga brads but that was to lock it whilst I waited for the solvent free gripfill to cure.

I guess you could try double sided tape with a few pins fired and an appropriate angle. But regardless of what you use, won't you need to caulk the gaps anyway?

Thank, yes I'll caulk the gaps, I meant I was toying with using caulk as a very lightweight adhesive - but that's obviously not a great solution! Maybe double sided tape could work, I'll look into that.

Caulk will work as an adhesive but it has little in the way of initial grab. I have used it to stick stuff in the past, but I had to use some pins to lock it until the caulk cured.

Sponsored Links
Blu Tack, or similar, might do the job for you? I've used it successfully for mounting house numbers and bell-pushes.

Just about to say, I used coving adhesive when I used this stuff in my hallway. You need to support it with pins/nails until it sets then remove the pins/nails and just a dab of filler before painting. Stayed in place for at least 4-5 years before I sold up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back