Adjustable workshop lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been in a Garage, NOT great lighting , and with a vice on a workmate, sharpened a lawnmower blade using a Dremel
I could do with some sort of Adjustable lighting, i can put on the object being worked on.
i have a couple of these worklamps, not sure if the 20W or 30W - https://www.wickes.co.uk/TP-Portabl...7Rv7dQOhCmGUU-zAo5BoCqSkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
which i had to balance around , BUT a light with a clamp - that I could attach to a Bench, workmate or even a table would be good

any suggestions
I plan to use the Dremel for quite a number of projects

Sponsored Links
i wondered about that , but was not sure how good the light would be with the normal LED bulbs these day - the worklights i have are around 20/30W and I guess 2000-4000 lumins

We have an angle poise in the office with a LED bulb in lowish light

I guess the max is around the 13W - (old 100W Equi) at about 1000 lumins -
I will have a further look at the anglepoise and max watt bulbs

Not sure of the ratings these days - some say , if rated at 40W - then can only use the Equivalent LED ...... NOT the actual LED 5W = 40w , because of the heat in the base

Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure of the ratings these days - some say , if rated at 40W - then can only use the Equivalent LED

I agree a anglepoise is the best type of lighting for a work bench. My mechanical workbench has an anglepoise style fitting, but uses two short florescent tubes. My electronics work bench uses an anglepoise light with a circular florescent tube, the centre of which includes a magnifying lens.

A 40w limited for the fitting is the limit of waste heat the fitting can withstand. If you fit a 40w LED, then the new limit will be how much heat the LED electronics can cope with.

Sponsored Links
thanks Harry,
A 40w limited for the fitting is the limit of waste heat the fitting can withstand.
Yes, is old money that was a 40W lamp - these days 5W LED is equivalent to 40W - and a 5W is the new limit in a 40W holder , because the heat is the same - at least some of the stuff I have read
but thanks for the information

regarding your workbench
but uses two short florescent tubes.
does that give enough light for doing things like Grinding a lawn mower blade

do you have any make/model information

I have a standing Magnifying glass (2 areas) with light, which i use for electronics - but that is in the house and close up work , as an trained Electronic Engineer (back in 70's) myself , i use frequently

BUT in a large garage would not use that

Be aware that some types of lighting create the hazard of moving machinery such as circular saws appearing to be stationary or rotating slowly due to stroboscopic effects,

does that give enough light for doing things like Grinding a lawn mower blade

do you have any make/model information

It gives plenty of light for that and more, I have it installed to be able to swing it down over my 6" vice. I sometimes do close work there, rather than traipsing off to my electronics workshop.

Even if I could give you a make/model, it is by now well obsolete. I bought it in a car boot sale 30 years ago. It's base fixes to the bench via two screws, the arms use friction to stay where put. Beutifully built, it gives the impression of coming from a medical, dental, or scientific environment. It doesn't use a starter, it is push button to strike it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifying-Adjustable-360°Swivel-Ant-Power/dp/B07NMQ8LFX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2X5TYVW05LSHL&keywords=desk+lamp+magnifier+for+craft+work+with+light&qid=1654795889&sprefix=desk%2Blight%2BMagnifier%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQ1JQME5FSk1ZRkU2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDcyNDE2MVdZWDBTNFlMWllVRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDc0MzczMkUxUzBRU1JBOU85MSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I have one of these at work, which is actually mine from a previous place. Well, similar to mine.

Sounds ideal, and the sort of thing i'm after - so will keep a look out
maybe something like this

That looks as if it would be a modern, comparable version to what I have. It's only good for close work, you would need general area lighting too. Lidl were selling something similar a few weeks ago.

you would need general area lighting too.
I have old fluorescent's already in the garage as general lighting , and also a 5' LED light - from screwfix , about 4000 lumins daylight temp - which i use for general woodwork, sheet and mitre saw stuff
but looking for a more directional light for small items - like sharpening tools / chisels / polishing etc work with a dremel - i sharpened a spare lawnmower blade this afternoon and felt even with the wickes lamp balanced I wanted something else

thanks for all the advice and ideas so far

maybe a tripod with a couple of 20/30w LEDS on - like

as you can tell, undecided

Last edited:
I use the magnifier more as a light source but do use it for small soldering tasks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back