Cheap wireless thermostat, if possible internet linked.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My thermostat (Nest Gen 3) is in the hall, in the main this works, but some times the boiler turns off premature leaving living room too cool, so simple cure would seem to be a second wireless thermostat in parallel with the Nest so if living room not warm enough, the boiler will fire, but if a open fire is lit in living room this will not cause rest of house to cool as a result.

I looked at Hive, this advert attracted my attention however it says "Hub not included." and "Smart Hub & Internet Connection Required" and "Network standard ZigBee" I already have a Zigbee hub for lighting so may be that's all I need? But I don't want yet another hub, I already have 4 hubs, it's getting silly.

I had hoped to either get the Nest sensor which has not been released in UK, or the TP-link thermostat as already have TP-Link TRV, the Energenie TRV link works wrong way around, the thermostat tells the TRV what to do. But the MIHO069 thermostat is cheap as is the Moes BHT-002 Series WiFi Thermostat, but they are not wireless, and I have no way to get wires from my living room to flat under house where my boiler is.

I have already had problems with wireless thermostats, this one 1701992507556.png seemed great on the spec, but slowly lost it's RF link with base, and could fail on, so it was rather useless, so having been bit once, I am a little nervous just reading the spec, also caught out with the Nest Gen 3, was told it would work with Energenie Mihome TRV heads, and it does not. I have found a review for the Tapo 1701993133094.png but the review here does not say if wireless, and I can't find a single advert selling them. Pity as have the Kasa TRV head.

So has anyone any ideas, with the Hive work for me? Any thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
Have you looked at Heatmiser, Esi, eph or even energenie?

We have used eph stuff for several years only problem we have ever had is when end user drops thermostat!
Yesterday finished a re boiler job 3 heating zones with 3 combi pack 4 plus rf cylinder stat .
150 year old farm house (stone walls) boiler plus controls in a outhouse
All worked first time .

Sponsored Links
My thermostat (Nest Gen 3) is in the hall, in the main this works, but some times the boiler turns off premature leaving living room too cool, so simple cure would seem to be a second wireless thermostat in parallel with the Nest so if living room not warm enough, the boiler will fire, but if a open fire is lit in living room this will not cause rest of house to cool as a result.

I looked at Hive, this advert attracted my attention however it says "Hub not included." and "Smart Hub & Internet Connection Required" and "Network standard ZigBee" I already have a Zigbee hub for lighting so may be that's all I need? But I don't want yet another hub, I already have 4 hubs, it's getting silly.

I had hoped to either get the Nest sensor which has not been released in UK, or the TP-link thermostat as already have TP-Link TRV, the Energenie TRV link works wrong way around, the thermostat tells the TRV what to do. But the MIHO069 thermostat is cheap as is the Moes BHT-002 Series WiFi Thermostat, but they are not wireless, and I have no way to get wires from my living room to flat under house where my boiler is.

I have already had problems with wireless thermostats, this one View attachment 324283 seemed great on the spec, but slowly lost it's RF link with base, and could fail on, so it was rather useless, so having been bit once, I am a little nervous just reading the spec, also caught out with the Nest Gen 3, was told it would work with Energenie Mihome TRV heads, and it does not. I have found a review for the Tapo View attachment 324284 but the review here does not say if wireless, and I can't find a single advert selling them. Pity as have the Kasa TRV head.

So has anyone any ideas, with the Hive work for me? Any thoughts welcome.

Switch to wiser.
Put the TRV heads on all rads, leave the main thermostats (They pair with the head and take precedence) in the main room(s) depending on the zones you want. Just fit them everywhere. Will save you cash on heating rooms unnecessarily.

I know this is a faff, i know you' put some money in the other stuff but you can sell it and recoup a bit.

Do it right, do it once.

Switch to wiser.
Put the TRV heads on all rads, leave the main thermostats (They pair with the head and take precedence) in the main room(s) depending on the zones you want. Just fit them everywhere. Will save you cash on heating rooms unnecessarily.

I know this is a faff, i know you' put some money in the other stuff but you can sell it and recoup a bit.

Do it right, do it once.
I thought the wiser thermostat was mains powered which means non starter. The base or receiver can be mains powered but not the thermostat part.
I have a EPH Cylinder boost switch.
Great piece of kit.
Last year I would have jumped at that idea, but the C plan means winter can't turn domestic hot water off even if I wanted to, and in summer the iboost+ heats domestic hot water from solar.
Have you looked at Heatmiser, Esi, eph or even energenie?
Looked at Energenie and it needs hard wiring so out, EPH seems to be OpenTherm and with oil no OpenTherm, I thought Heatmiser was under floor heating so will look again, not heard of Esi quick look and it seems promising would have preferred smart options, but it does seem to fit the bill.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I thought the wiser thermostat was mains powered which means non starter. The base or receiver can be mains powered but not the thermostat part.

Last year I would have jumped at that idea, but the C plan means winter can't turn domestic hot water off even if I wanted to, and in summer the iboost+ heats domestic hot water from solar.

Looked at Energenie and it needs hard wiring so out, EPH seems to be OpenTherm and with oil no OpenTherm, I thought Heatmiser was under floor heating so will look again, not heard of Esi quick look and it seems promising would have preferred smart options, but it does seem to fit the bill.
Wiser room thermostats are battery powered.

Correct

But you don't need them tbh.
If the rad has the TRV, that will do that "Zone" temp monitoring.

You only need a thermostat where you are not fitting a TRV head. (in my case, every rad has a TRV head).

I have re-looked at wiser, not sure how I would wire it 1702033036074.png the version I would need would be this
1702033102390.png
which leaves a problem, would need relays so 1 would go to motorised valve main house and relay, two would go to boiler, three would go to motorised valve and relay, the relay would power the central heating, and the motorised valve would power the pump for that part of house. So quite a bit of rewiring. Plus £242 for the thermostats, plus £52 each for the TRV heads, and I have 13 of them. That is not what I call cheap. The single channel running alongside the Nest is still nearly £100.

So Drayton Wiser is £36 more expensive to Hive for thermostat, but only £2 more for the TRV heads, I will admit the Wiser is looking good, as a single channel version with the Nest, I think I will talk about it with my son, as I am getting to the point where likely he will need to repair it.

Thank you all for your help, with Wiser wonder if we would need a family email address so we can both work it. Not sure why it needs an email address?

Correct

But you don't need them tbh.
If the rad has the TRV, that will do that "Zone" temp monitoring.

You only need a thermostat where you are not fitting a TRV head. (in my case, every rad has a TRV head).
Not necessarily. A room thermostat is useful in rooms where you have more than one radiator or where the radiator is behind furniture. The TRV’s are also known to not be particularly accurate assessing room temperature due to being next to the heat emitter.

Not necessarily. A room thermostat is useful in rooms where you have more than one radiator or where the radiator is behind furniture. The TRV’s are also known to not be particularly accurate assessing room temperature due to being next to the heat emitter.
Tru dat.

My missus insists on playing hide-n-seek with the rads so i have one of them controlling the living room rad.

All TRV heads except bathrooms are electronic already. In the living room the two TRV's in use show less than the broken one sitting on the mantle piece. So seems to be no problem getting too hot as too close to heat source.

All TRV heads except bathrooms are electronic already. In the living room the two TRV's in use show less than the broken one sitting on the mantle piece. So seems to be no problem getting too hot as too close to heat source.
Amazon have a kit 3 for £185 and 3 TRV’s for £138 at the moment. There may be deals around Christmas, on Black Friday the 3 TRV pack was less than £100.

You don’t need TRV’s on every radiator, I have 13 radiators but only have 6 iTRV’s, 4 mechanical TRV’s and 3 radiators have no TRV’s.

If you are interested in Wiser then Amazon have the 3 pack TRV’s on offer at 30% off at present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back