Shortening a light fixture with metal rod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought the Made.com Billie triple pendant light - this one: https://www.made.com/billie-triple-...YxH3n-3n2IipWzOK9gRoCjecQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It comes with a ceiling rose and an attached rigid metal stem, which screws into the triple arm pictured. The whole thing weighs about 3.6kg (metal structure, glass shades).

It turns out the stem is too long for the height of my kitchen. Ideally I'd like to just replace the ceiling rose and stem with a shorter version, but I'm having trouble finding something that would do the job. A friend was going to wire it into the ceiling for me, so while they are competent at electrics, I don't think they'd have the tools or knowhow to cut the stem and cut a new screw thread into it.

Has anyone done anything similar with this model?

Could anyone suggest my best options with this problem - where I might find a shorter stem (with screw thread that would fit the light) and corresponding ceiling rose - or whether it would be safe, with this weight, to hang the light from a fresh ceiling rose without the metal stem? I live in a ground floor flat so I can't get above my kitchen ceiling to look at what's in between the 1st floor floorboards and my ceiling...

Thanks very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
The maker/seller might be able to tell you the specs of the thread. Shortening the tube is no problem - all you need is a hacksaw and a flat and rat-tail file to clean up the end.

If you can't buy a suitable tube then look for a local model engineering club, or a group running a miniature railway etc, as they'll almost certainly have someone who would cut a thread on it for a nominal fee/donation.

While it's dismantled think about rewiring it to supply the outer 2 lamp holders separately from the centre one, as that would give you the option of 1, 2 or 3 bulbs on.

I had a similar light for our dining room which we swap round at Christmas as the Fire is then used in Winter. I shortened it with an angle grinder and my Father inlaw rethreaded the top.

Sponsored Links
Mine was quite a thickish Steel rod/tube BAS, thick enough to have a thread. Hence why I used the small disc to cut it.

Can't help thinking that a hacksaw, or even a junior one, would have made a neater job.

Then end had to be threaded after it was cut - which took about three seconds as opposed to 3 minutes plus sandpaper to finish off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back