Adjusting an old upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been trying to sort an old upvc door out (no idea of actual age)

It's only part glazed so doubt it's majorly heavy, but I'm guessing it dropped on the lock side a little.

It had been hard to lock for a while.

When looking at the door alone, the handle is a bit floppy and when you lift it up the four deadlocks hooks come out but they progressively come out less (ie the top one comes all the way out, the next is nearly fully out, by the time you get to the bottom one it's only half way out) - if you give it a sharp pull they all come out all the way.

When the door is closed though even a sharp pull won't get them to come out all the way so the key won't turn to lock the door.

I've tried adjusting them as much as possible but haven't had a huge amount of luck. If I take the keeps off altogether then it will lock with the deadbolts out, as soon as I put one back in (any one) then it will no longer lock with the deadbolts out.

I looked at the hinges for adjustment but I'm not sure there is any.

On each hinge there is two grub screws, one on the lower part pointing so it is easy to undo with the door open, the other one points into the wall so it is impossible to turn without removing the door and hinges.

But on other doors I've seen you undo the grub screw then turn an adjuster in the top or bottom of the hinge - these don't have them - it's just a plain metal pin.

Any way to adjust this or is it time for a new door?

The hinges are similar to this one:

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/hinges/butt-fit-upvc-door-hinges/simonswerk-butt-fit-hinge

Sponsored Links
you could try jacking the door up and toe and heeling the glass again this will raise it on the lock side a tad then try new hinge pins they may be worn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back