Adjusting composite door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Had a composite door fitted about 6 months ago, however it's a tight fit about halfway down and needs a good slam. Before I get the form out to have a look I wanted to try and sort myself. It's the right about halfway up on handle side. The hinges inside have an allen key adjuster at the top under the cap, not sure about the rest. Thanks.

20190809_190044.jpg 20190809_191015.jpg 20190805_174544.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Ken,
There's one just above the handle/latch looks like a concrete screw. Can't remember if there's any more just below.

I was wondering if perhaps the centre of the frame (where's it's catching) isn't fitted in far enough against the wall. Was considering cutting out the foam to have a look.

20190805_174442.jpg

Cocat2517, good evening, again.

had a close up look at the frame fix in the image, as far as i can see, it has cracked the frame, indeed there is a distinct dip around the fixing where the frame has been distorted and cracked by the fixing.

might be worth a try to carefully remove some of the foam and dee if the frame moves back, there appears to be a lot of pressure on the fixing, enough to just crack the frame??

you may consider trying a hack saw blade??

ken

Sponsored Links
Hi
Had a composite door fitted about 6 months ago, however it's a tight fit about halfway down and needs a good slam. Before I get the form out to have a look I wanted to try and sort myself. It's the right about halfway up on handle side. The hinges inside have an allen key adjuster at the top under the cap, not sure about the rest. Thanks.

As its only six months, should you not be calling back the company which installed the new door to fix it?

Will do, but wanted to know if it was a simple adjustment I could do before going through the hassle of calling them out, arranging a date etc.

Will do, but wanted to know if it was a simple adjustment I could do before going through the hassle of calling them out, arranging a date etc.

From what I could see in the photos, it is just a very simple and cheap door, with absolutely no adjustment available. Those points you have marked as adjusters, are actually the fixings of the frame. The tightening gap between frame and door can be seen in the photo. Maybe you could tighten the allan bolts to pull the frame away from the door a little, worth a try if there is no guarantee on the door. The suggestion to try hacksawing some of the foam out might help a bit, but at the risk of loosening the frame laterally so be careful how much foam you cut. It does look as if who ever fitted it, tried to over tension that bolt by the lock, to move the frame over when it was first fitted, so I would be wary of tightening that one much more, without taking foam out from behind it first.

The expanding foam has bowed the frame, rather than pulling the door to the left which would increase the gap at the top and bottom you really need to pull the frame to the right, get a bread knife between the frame and foam and slice some foam out of the way and tighten the fixing screws a bit more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back