adjusting hinges on double glazing ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I go about my normal handyman work I keep coming across new issues ! Want to adjust some double glazing windows do not close properly against the seals which suggest max of a couple of mm gap between frame and window. Finding gaps of up to 6mm (!) at bottom/top ends of some and believe that hinges can be adjusted but cannot see how ? Surely these were made in jigs in the first place that should close up better. Don't know what make these are, believe may be 20 years old, but will try to add some pictures here in a minute
Many thanks
[/img]

Sponsored Links
The bit you don't show in your pics is the problem (on mine anyway). If you look at the inner corner of the hinge with the window open there are small triangle shaped guides. These are meant to slide the hinge side of the window in towards the frame when at it's final closing point. These get worn and as far as I can tell you need to fit new hinges. Hinges are readily available at places like screwfix.

gosh, thanks for quick reply Alan - the actual hinges look in good shape and seem parallel/sqare fitting as if everything should line up fine but I will look for the triangle guides - I will be going to try and sort these and other things on friday. I'll have a look at screwfix hinges as well.
cheers

Sponsored Links
If i got this right and you have gaps at the top you need to pack the glass not move the hinges

hi, it's not a problem of the glass in the window, that is fitted/sealed fine. It's when pulled closed there is a wide gap between the window frame that holds the glass and the fixed frame/sill section that is beyond the depth of the moulded seal, letting draughts in - the hinge is not set correct to pull it up tighter. Funnily enough it seems to pull in enough at the top but it is only the bottom section (the gap tapering down as you go up the side of the window) ...if that makes sense ?
thanks for you reply though.

Chippy

When you close the window is the tapering gap on the handle side of the opener or the hinged side of the opener??
If its the handle side this would mean there's a twist in the frame ( the uprights of the frame are not plumb )
If its the hinged side you require a new hinge, it may only be the top or bottom hinge that's not functioning but best to renew the pair. By the look of it you require 13mm stack hinge, you will need to measure the width & length of the original hinge, if its a bedroom you will require a fire escape.
10 minute job if you know what you're doing
Good luck

http://www.handlestore.com/products/H05-16-inch-SH-Egress-Window-Hinge/NA/

I am very grateful for your advice and identifying the hinge type and source. It is the hinged side that is the problem and in fact 2 windows at the bottom.
I will measure them up and replace hinges.

I have purchased 2 pairs of hinges from the handlestore (12" side hung H05 type fire escape) and hope to try and fit on Friday this week.
The 2 smallish windows are in fact upstairs and the maybe foolish thing is that I will have to do this on my own for an elderley lady who wouldn't be able to help hold the window safely !
I will do this from the inside and will endeavour to set up some sort of safety tie to the window, will have a small electric screwdriver to undo the screws (and some sort of catchment for them - I reasonably OK with my hands.
Am I totally barmy trying this on my own ?
I'm not sure if I can get the clearance from the main frame by just unscrewing the windows with hinges from the main frame (are these fixed inset) and then replace the hinges safely on the windows and then juggle back/fix in place if that makes sense or do I have to undo the hinge from the opening window first which would be tricky above and below ? I believe that the first hole position should be standard and the others may need respotting.
Sorry to be asking so much in my ignorance - I'm sure if it was downstairs it would be so much easier ! Is it reasonabley straight forward as I imagine or is there any special alignment/adjusting that needs doing.
Best regards, Joe

I've replaced the hinges on a number of my windows at home because of the exact same problem - the 'housing' at the hinged edge no longer located properly and that edge stood proud of the frame. I also used the Screwfix hinges.

I opened the window fully and made sure all the screws could be loosened. Removed all except one - in the top hinge so the window wouldn't fall out. Holding the window with one hand and removing the final screw you should simply be able to lift the window + hinges out of the frame and manoeuvre it back inside. The hinges may need to be sprung slightly to release them from the rebate but it's only a few mm.

It can be tricky on your own but if the windows are quite small then it is 'do-able'. I did all mine single-handed and a couple were quite large.

Fit the new hinges to the window and reverse the procedure to refit. Getting the first screw in the top hinge is probably the hardest bit, especially if it doesn't line up, so have a drill to hand because you can't let go yet!

Make sure you fit the appropriate hinges for top- or side-hung windows. If I recall correctly the top-hung hinges only open one-way, so are 'handed'. You don't want to find you've fitted them on the wrong side when you're hanging it back in the frame!

Good luck.

Many thanks for your quick and reassurring reply, and for the very useful tips - gives me more confidence now - I hope to have all tools to hand and 'tie some sort of safety strap' around the window just in case it tries to slip away !
I will report later in the week.

Chippy, just a few other tips.....

As kbdly says take all screws out bar one in top hinge, I always opt to grab the actual top hinge when releasing the last screw, this way you get a good grip, don't worry about losing the screws, they need replacing by the look of things.
Once you've lifted the opener inside, close both hinges shut! Part of the hinge will overhang, measure this, it's probably about 10mm, this overhang needs to be same when you put the new hinge on top and bottom!! The holes may not line up but as long as you follow this u should be ok, you'll need to get a screw in the top first when putting back in, use a magnetic bit otherwise you'll need 3 hands
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back