Adjusting picture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back in the old days, they used to transmit a test card which included features to set up the colour, tint, brightness and contrast on your CRT TV.

My LG has a massive array of adjustments to fiddle with the picture/display, along with various preset adjustment modes, for various display purposes. Problem is, I find all of the different modes far too dark, so I end up using user settings, and swapping between channels to test them. Is there a better way, anything like the old test card which I can put on screen, to set it up? My TV has access to the Internet..

Sponsored Links
I use 1080p test discs - Spears & Munsil (2nd edition), DVE HD Basics, and there's a Spears & Munsil 4K disc too. Obviously these require a BD player or 4K player, but they do include the colour filters for adjustment of master colour and tint.

There's also the AVS 709 test pattern set which you can download as a compressed file and then play from a USB stick.

On a side note, any PAL (UK) broadcast test patterns wouldn't have included scope to adjust tint. We don't use that for PAL decoded signals. You might have been able to access it though if the test pattern were broadcast via DVB-T/T2 and received via a PVR or DVDR connected by HDMI using the Component setting.

Sponsored Links
If you want to go down the rabbit hole, have a look at hfcr. You’ll need a colorimeter and can then calibrate your screen objectively in order to view movies closer to how they were intended. It will require a bit of practice and investment if time, but in reality, tweaking colour settings, gamma etc on displays always does. Some TVs play better than others even if they seem to have the available settings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back