Adjusting radiator pipework help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a radiator in my en suite which I'd like to change for a towel warmer. The current pipework comes out of the wall behind the radiator from the center...like so

So to fit a towel warmer the pipes need to come out of the wall 500mm apart at right angles to the wall.

However this in an brick wall and there is only just enough rooms for the pipes let alone space to create a right angle.

What is the best solution to get the pipes into the correct position? Do I need to create space (grind the blocks)? or add a right angle to the pipe through some sort of adapter? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The normal way I've seen it done, would be to leave the pipes where they are, make sure the bottom of the towel rail is just lower than the pipes and then run the pipes to valves which have the same orientation as those that went to the radiator.

Be careful though, a towel rail doesn't emit heat into the room like a radiator does, even when it's not covered with towels, so you might end up with a cold bathroom.

Thanks for the info.
I had thought of that however the pips are going to be bit unsightly as they'll be seen at the base of the towel warmer.

As for the hear issue, new underfloor heating should counteract the heat loss. It's a warm room anyway.

If you don't want to raggle the Wall, my advice would be get 10mm push fit street elbows andmount the t/w lower.you may have to get a taller one.with 500 centres there with be 250 each way visible but with the t/w lowered and the street elbows it won't look as bad.you will have to fill around the pipes though

Sponsored Links
I was think of doing the same but remove a section of plaster and mounting the pipe behind. There with a push fit street elbow giving the 90 degree bend? Hopefully this will fit between the plaster and the wall.

Does the pipe need to be supported with anything? or Just lose between the paster and the brickwork?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back