adjusting upvc front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, can anyone give me some tips please, my daughter has a upvc front door, there are three hinges to the left hand side with crosshead adjusters two in each hinge, the problem with her door is it will shut ok and lock ok but when you pull the handle up to lock the door just at the last moment for about 1/4 inch or so there is resistance like a '' clump '' only way to describe it, clearly in needs to be finely adjusted, but what hinge do i adjust to overcome the problem ,
regards dave :confused:

Sponsored Links
A DIYer reply here so, better, or correct advice, might come from the experts.
You might find that the problem is not with the hinges but with the (usually) four latches on the edge of the door. Two of these are likely to have ettcentric adjusters (you will need an allen key) and a slight turn might be all that is needed to help the latches register with the keep plate on the frame.
Also, sometimes, this keep plate comes a bit loose and it's securing screws might need tightening.

Likely the door has dropped and one or more of the locking mechanisms are not engaging into the corresponding frame strike properly. Suggest you take the frame strikes off and then close/lock the door. If no resistance is noticed, add each strike back onto the frame until you find the one that is giving you grief. Adjust the position of this (up/down) - and job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back