upvc french door alignment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my daughter has just bought her own house, she has upvc french doors, the minor problem is when you go to lock the door and pull the handle upwards right at the last moment there is resistance like a small ''clunk '' before you are able to turn the key to lock the door, i believe this something to do with the alignment of the door and adjusting the hinges, she has 3 hinges with cross head screws on them , but i have no idea which way you turn what or which one you turn to obtain the satisfactory results, can anyone help me please regards dave :(

Sponsored Links
French doors are notorious for going out of adjustment (& unfortunately I have 3 sets!) They vary in the way they are adjusted (if they can be!) & the hinges usually have vertical adjustment to raise the door - look underneath the hinge there may be a plastic cap hiding it; adjustment to tilt the door is on the side of the hinge & again there may be a small plastic cap hiding the adjuster. Usually, the doors will move in the direction you screw the adjusters but unless the doors are actually catching the frame, this may not be the problem. First check the adjustment of the latching mechanism/pates down the edge of the fixed door, sometimes these move/come loose & the latch will catch when you try to lock the door. If you can’t cure the problem by adjustment, it may be that the glass needs toeing & heeling to correct frame distortion. This involves removing the glass & is not something I would recommend unless you feel confident about tackling it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back