ADT alarm going off despite electrician disconnecting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into a house 6 years ago with an ADT alarm. I never had any info for it or had it commissioned. 4 years later it started going off for no reason so I had an electrician come in and disconnect the mains and the battery from the alarm box in my cupboard. 2 years later and it is going off again but seems to be coming from the ceiling void between the 2 floors. From googling it seems there may be a bell box with a back up battery. I can't find a bell box anywhere - not on the outside of the flat. A few questions:

1) is it possible that the bell box could have been installed above the ceiling?
2) How long might it take for the battery to run out? Otherwise I may need to get a hole cut in my ceiling. This is far from ideal.

Any helps would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Jane

Sponsored Links
It should have stopped after 20 minutes...

If it's 2 years on, it is unlikely to be the intruder alarm - unless you live in a mansion with dozens of detectors and an additional power supply that your electrician missed...

Thanks for your reply. Oh I wish it had gone off after 20 minutes.

It is still most definitely going off 12 long hours later. I do live in a block but the source of the noise has been built into the ceiling cavity. So I have no way of knowing how it is connected. I can't imagine it is from the block as it is a private alarm, that no one else has.

Sponsored Links
So what sort of noise is it? Is it a WAH-WAH-WAH? A bip-bip . . . bip-bip? A WAAAAAAAAAAAA...H? A WEE-OOO, WEE-OOO, WEE-OOO? And how loud is it?

The reason that I ask is that it it might not be the intruder alarm or it might be coming from a different flat or outside. Some sounds at certain frequencies can be very difficult to locate. It is unlikely that anyone has 'buried' a sounder in the ceiling. If you have lights fitted into your ceiling nearby, you could try taking one out (when it's been off for a while and is cold) and sticking a camera or your phone through the hole and taking a photo/video to see what's up there...

:!: Another thought - could it be a failing transformer for a dichroic (halogen) downlight? Can you stop the noise by turning the lights off?

Or, possibly, an in-line extractor fan with a worn out bearing? These can be placed in the ceiling void...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back