Adverse possession over registered land

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I bought a house which, in the deeds, used to have adverse possession rights on all my garden, and a bottom section of the garden.
This was dated 1990.
It was signed etc by a commissioner of oaths, with a drawing showing the land claimed after being used for ten years.
Over the years, the garden has since been registered, section by section, to my house.
But, that bottom portion of the garden was registered by my neighbours with the land registry in 1995.
It may be that the local council sold them it, unaware of the adverse possession.
I don't know.
Does that land still belong to me, or can I claim compensation from whoever allowed the neighbour to register it?
How can I find out how they managed to aquire and register it?
It's 25% the size of my existing garden, and would make a hell of a difference to me.
Thank you.
John

Sponsored Links
Does that land still belong to me, or can I claim compensation from whoever allowed the neighbour to register it?
How can I find out how they managed to aquire and register it?

As you've stated it was registered with the Land Registry in 1995 that would be my first port of call in your situation - but I'm not an expert in land law so there may be other avenues to explore. Locically, the Land Registry should be a good starting point though.

You need to contact land registry and tell them that whoever sold the land to your neighbour did so falsely as it was not theirs to sell. Land reg will obviously want evidence etc but if you can show the land was legally yours you can get the registration corrected.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back