Advertising your services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For those of you who do this for a living, and have had to advertise to get work, what works best for you?

I keep hearing that there is a severe shortage of 'builders' yet a friend put out about 200 flyers through doors, with only 1 response! Also put a couple of shop ads in with no luck.

Sponsored Links
yendisniaps said:
a friend put out about 200 flyers through doors, with only 1 response! Also put a couple of shop ads in with no luck.
It will be hard to start with but a word of mouth and recommendation and a good reputation goes along way.

Just think how many advertisement come though the door asking for work,the way I see it,people think they can't get work, cowboys type or moonlighting etc and sounds like you're begging for job.This is my own opinion,but they are good people about and a lot of advert is how you get your message across.I once offer a couple not to pay me if they wasn't satified with my work !! since then I've done loads of work for them!

A friend of mine does blocks paving for a living and always put in advertise flyer in the door of the street they're working in so they can see their standard of work and how pleasant they are !

Like I say it won't be easy.Maybe best to work in a team/partner or a small company to start with an get to know people.

I used to work for building company & people always asking me if I do private work and have built up people trusts over the years.I've now left the building years ago and they are still twisting my arm to do their work!

Also I found,always be kind and listen to them,doesn't matter how awkard they can be,they need to be comfortable with you.In the end you haven't got to go back to them !

I took a 5 line classified ad the local freebie newspaper in August last year. Since then, I have been in continual employment, and cannot take any more work until mid May. In fact, two weeks ago, I cancelled my ad for 2 weeks because I was having to put off so many callers. 30% of my work is sorting out what other so-called "tradesmen" have cocked-up.

I would agree with flyers and window ads- waste of time. I used to "work" for a company they said 1000 leaflets, 1 reply was ok, 2-4 they were over the moon.

put your self in the receivers shoes (tight fit may be) but what do you do with a leaflet? bin it of course. (after all you didn't ask for it)

it is hard to get started, but try friends, even a small job, but put a notice up "another Marvelous job by breezers builders call ........ or get a website, you can even advertise on this site (NO NOT a post, look at the home page)

Sponsored Links
Takes a long time to build your reputation up, but if you start at the bottom and work up i.e. local papers etc you will get there eventually. Don't expect to make it over night,. Walk before you crawl before you run :) ..and make sure you give it 100%

I myself don't advertise now, I get invited for tenders from local authority and reputable architects who have me on their tender list. I tend to deal with a lot of high end clientele who are taking on quite expensive projects and so cowboys and trade sharks don't ever get a look in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back