1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Finding a builder in a new area

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Kistelek, 9 Aug 2018.

1. Kistelek

Kistelek

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm hopefully soon going to be looking for a builder to put an extension up along with a bunch of other work on my new (to me) bungalow which is about 3 hours away from where I currently live.

Normally I like to hire tradesmen on word of mouth from people I know who've had good service at a fair price. This works great here but comes up a bit short for the new house.

The best tradesmen I've had don't advertise generally as they're busy through recommendation. How on earth can I find good tradesmen in a new area? Are these Trusted Trader type websites any good?

I could go door knocking around the village but you still don't know if they're recommending their brother or son who's a complete cowboy.

2. wgt52

wgt52

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    buy a few beers and ask in the village pub...
    Listen on a weekend for the sounds of building work and track that down.
    Look out for newly completed building work and ask there.
    Look out for builders vans in the area.
    Find a small landlord or 2 and ask who they use.
    Discuss what you plan to do to the property in the village pub.

(In my home village there are 3 carpenters, 1 bricky, 1 gas man, 1 'does most things but no electrics' man) non advertise except in village news sheet but all can be found by walking around and listening for machinery or asking in the pub.)

Last edited: 9 Aug 2018
  3. Bosswhite

Bosswhite

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Go to a local builders supply merchants and ask who they would recommend , local Council Trading Standards "Buy with confidence" scheme is also useful and free , (avoid the Trusted Trader websites ).

4. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had never heard of that before. Having looked at the official site, it looks like it isn't supported by all councils. For example, here in London only 3 of the 32 boroughs support it.

https://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/buy-with-confidence-local-authorities/

5. Kistelek

Kistelek

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom